Chapter Twenty-Seven

Oh no.

I watch as Taylor looks down at the floor and slowly turns around, leaving Jacob's hospital room.

"Taylor!" I call after him. "Taylor, please wait!"
"What do you want Jordan?" He raises his voice as he stops, causing me to take a step back. I guess I deserve that.
"To apologise." I mutter and we fall into silence. "Taylor." I try again, reaching forward for his hand, only for him to pull it back.

"You know, I get it." He finally speaks up. "I always knew that something would happen between you and Baylin."
"Taylor-"
"But I never thought it'd be when we were together." Taylor whispers as a tear rolls down his cheek and my heart breaks.

As Taylor moves to the elevator and presses the down button, I try to speak to him. 

"Taylor, please wait." I beg, crying as he steps inside the elevator and turns around. "What can I do to fix this?".
"Jordan, I-we shouldn't be together anymore." Taylor states as my hand moves to cover my mouth as tears flow down my face.
"But I-I." I stutter.

"I love you, Jordan." Taylor whispers.
"I love you too." I mumble, watching as the doors shut between us and he's gone. I love you.

I stand there, staring at the cold silver metal of the elevator doors as the tears continue to stream down my face. Why are you such an idiot, Jordan? Thoughts continue to flood my mind as I the tears keep falling

"Jordan, what happened?" Mel asks as she reaches me with Abbi, Bay, and Gilinsky by her side.
"Sweetie." Abbi begins.
"Don't." I mutter. "Please just leave."

"Jordan?" Baylin's voice fills my ears.
"Leave me alone." I mutter.
"Jords." He tries again, placing his hand on my arm.
"Don't come near me." I cry, moving my arm away. "This is all on you."

"Baylin, let's go sit with Jac." Mel instructs as my best friends start to move away. 

"Jack." I mumble as he turns around and moves away from the others.
"Yeah?" He asks.
"Please stay with me." I plead.

"Of course." Jack nods, coming closer.
"I stuffed up." I mumble as he sighs.
"Come here." He instructs and I move into his arms. I wrap my arms around his figure as I lay my head on his chest.  

"Jack, Baylin kissed me. When I was telling Jacob, Taylor overheard and he dumped me. Jack, Taylor dumped me." I cry into his chest.
"Oh, Jordan." Gilinsky sighs softly. "It's okay, everything will be okay."
"I hope so, because I just lost the best thing that's ever happened to my." I sob softly. 

~~~

"Jordan, sweetie, are you okay?" Mum asks as Jack and I walk into Jacob's room, coming face-to-face with Mum, Bart, Logan, Baylin, and the girls.

I look at Baylin briefly before averting my gaze. I can't deal with this all now. I shake my head, signifying no, but my family knows better than to push things with me.

"Hey Jac." I mumble as Jack and I take the seat beside Jacob's bed. "I wish you'd answer me."
"Man, we really need you to come back to us." Gilinsky speaks quietly.
"I stuffed up Jacob." I sigh. "And I need you here."

Silence fills the room as I lean against Jack. I look around at everyone with their stoic features and a thought comes to mind: Jacob wouldn't want us to be sad, no matter what the circumstances are. My eyes glance over Melody and Abigail who are entertaining Logan. I look to Baylin, who keeps glancing my way - I know he messed up, but I really wish I had my best friend right now. I sigh and turn my attention to my mum who is resting against Bart, on the opposite side of the room. Everyone looks exhausted and drained; Jacob wouldn't want that.

I begin humming softly to myself as Jack starts to slowly tap his foot to the familiar beat.

You've been deep in a coma
But I stood right here
When you thought there was no one
I was still right here
You were scared, but I told ya

Gilinksy gently squeezes my hand with a soft smile playing on his lips as he joins in.

Open up your eyes

I was always in front of you

So wake up
Your sleeping heart
I know sometimes we'll be afraid
But no more playing safe, my dear
I'm here
So wake up

I look up to see Abbi holding the camera that we record our videos on, and I smile sadly towards her.

"Hey guys, its Jordan here." I wave slightly. "Um-"
"Hi everyone." Jack nods towards the camera. "I'm here because, well, we've all had a tough couple of weeks."
"My twin brother, he's in a coma and has been for a while. That's why we haven't posted recently and have been absent from everything social media related." I begin to explain.

"Jordan thought that singing might help to wake Jacob, but it hasn't worked yet, but we're going to keep on trying." Gilinsky smiles sadly. "Because the nurses have said that there's a chance that he might be able to hear us, so we want to make sure that he knows that someone's always here."

"Imagine spending your first few weeks as an eighteen-year-old stuck in a hospital bed with tubes sticking out of you." I pause as I look towards my mum and Bart. "That's the sight we've been staring at for days now."
"We think that now is a good time to ask for everyone's support towards the Whitesides family." Jack speaks as he hands me my guitar that was leaning beside Jacob's bed.
"And this is us showing you guys how much we appreciate all that you've done for us, so thank you." I smile softly.

"So for the rest of this very unprepared video, we're just going to sing a few songs. Thank you for being you." I speak to the camera as Jack nods beside me.

'Lighthouse' – G.R.L

So if you need me, just call out my name
We ain't ever scared, no we're not afraid
Whenever, whatever, know I'm down for life
I'm your ride–or–die

When the night gets cold and the lights go out
The sun is gone behind the clouds
And you feel lost and I reach out
To guide you home with my lighthouse

"Join in guys." Jack instructs my family as I begin to strum the chords to the next song and Mel moves the camera around the room; respectfully not showing Jacob.

'Move Along' – The All-American Rejects

Speak to me
When all you got to keep is strong
Move along, move along like I know you do
And even when your hope is gone
Move along, move along just to make it through
Move along

I glance around the room to see everyone smiling for the first time in ages as I begin with the last song of the video.

'Save You' – Simple Plan

Take a breath
I pull myself together
Just another step
Until I reach the door
You'll never know the way it tears me up inside to see you

I wish that I could tell you something
To take it all away

Sometimes I wish I could save you
And there's so many things that I want you to know
I won't give up 'til it's over
If it takes you forever, I want you to know

That if you fall, stumble down
I'll pick you up off the ground
If you lose faith in you
I'll give you strength to pull through
Tell me you won't give up 'cause I'll be waiting if you fall
You know, I'll be there for you

"Thank you." I wave to the camera as Abbi turns it off.
"That was beautiful Jordan." Mum nods with a smile.
"It was." Jack agrees as he kisses my temple and pulls me closer towards him.

~~~

"Hmm." A soft moan fills my ears and I snap my head towards my twin. "My head." The voice I've been longing to hear grunts.

"Jacob?" I question as I pull myself out of Jack's embrace and fling myself at my twin.
"Oh my gosh." Mel gasps as everyone turns to my brother.
"He's awake." Logan exclaims in delight.

"I can't believe it." I smile as I pull my brother into a tight hug. "You came back to us, tme." I mumble against his neck.
"Of course I did." Jacob speaks, releasing a hoarse voice. "I'll never leave you Jordan."