Chapter 28

Leona was in deep concentration as she experimented with a few different pastries in her bakery late Monday night. She was supposed to be working at the bar but after seeing the store finished, she gave Precious her two weeks notice.

The older woman insisted that Leona could go ahead and quit without any notice. She knew how excited both girls were about starting the bakery and she didn't want to put the woman through fourteen long days before she could get down to business.

So that's why she was standing in the middle of the kitchen trying to perfect her Danish recipes.

Leona was so excited that the ball was rolling on the business that after the brunette went off to work this morning, she went to Landers and bought supplies so she could practice a few recipes. She had been working on different ideas since this afternoon and after one more round of baking, she was going to pack it up and go home for the night, a knock at the door brought her out of her concentration.

Peeking into the storefront, she saw Olga wave and motion for her to let her in.

"Anong ginagawa mo dito?" Leona asked, letting the woman in and locking the door back.

"Kaaalis ko lang sa trabaho at napansin kong wala ang sasakyan sa bahay, kaya nagpasya akong pumunta dito at tingnan kung ano ang ginagawa mo," she said, setting down her umbrella and taking off her jacket. "Anong ginagawa mo dito? Gabing gabi na." She asked, seeing some flour on Leona's forehead and cheek.

"I've been baking."

"Baking?" Olga said in surprise.

"Uh... Oo. I wanted to try out a few recipes I hadn't made in several years."

"Where did you get the stuff?"

"'Wag kang tumawa," Leona said shyly. She had been so excited since Olga had showed her the finished product she just had to try her kitchen out.

"Hindi," she snorted.

"Tumatawa kana!"

"Leona, paanong hindi eh sinasabi mo na 'wag akong tumawa and then give me that bashful face?" She patted Leona's face as she looked around the room. She was pretty proud of herself for finishing the bakery in a week, but it didn't come without a hefty price.

"You suck," she rolled her eyes. "Nagpunta ako ng Landers and bought a few things and I've been busy trying different items out," she said as she walked to the back.

"Oh, yum! Ang bango naman dito," she followed her. "Anong nagawa mo? Nagugutom ako. We have been so busy; hindi ako nakakain during lunch break, well, kung matatawag mong break yung dalawang minutong nakaupo."

"Eto," Leona said, taking a pasty and breaking a piece off. "Subukan mo 'to," she said holding it up to the brunette's mouth for her to take a bite. "Ano sa tingin mo?" She asked as the woman slowly chewed her food.

"Mmm..." She moaned as her eyes rolled back in her head. "Oh my God, ang sarap." She said, wiping some crumbs off the side of her mouth. "Please tell me you have more?"

"Meron pa," she chuckled.

"Oooo," she noticed some take out boxes in the corner. "Chinese ba 'yan?" Olga asked.

"Oo," she chuckled. "Sa'yo na yan. Hindi ko naubos eh."

"Yay!" She jumped on the opportunity and took Leona's food and started to devour it. "You don't know how hungry I am." She said with a mouth full of fried rice.

"Umm, I think I can tell," Leona laughed, shaking her head at the brunette's silliness before she went back to her prepping. "'Wag mo lang kainin yung fortune cookie ko!" She told her.