❦Pretty girls mope too

D

D.M
October 15th

"I did not intend to purchase this much today" the average height lightskin spoke to Dakota to which the girl then laughed at even though she couldn't relate. She was always prepared to spend more than what she may have or haven't intended.

The mother and Daughter decided to have a day at The Pike Outlets to browse and shop as well as just spending time with each other. Right now they decided to stop at the Cold Stone Creamery to rest their feet as well as consume something tasty. This would also be a way for Kora to tell her daughter the news she's been holding to herself for the past two days due to not wanting to discuss such important matters over the phone.

Little did Kota know, Dakota had been sensing something was weighing on her mother. She didn't bring it up because she wanted the older version of her to come out with it on her own and not feel forced. Lucky for her though she didn't have to wait too long since as soon as the two received their ice cream and sat at a table, her mother spoke.

"Kota bear, you know how much me and your father love you right, even though it may seem opposite at times from us always putting you between our quarrels. We do love you" Dakota's face held a slight frown as her heart was slowly picking up its pace. She felt as though she had a sense of what her mother would say next, but she also didn't know where the hell the woman was going with her speech.

"Yea mama but what that gotta do with anything? Just tell me I don't need the softness before the blow" Dakota wasn't trying to be rude or come off as disrespectful and harsh, but she also just wanted whatever that needed to be said, said.

Kora softly nodded as a small smile tugged at her lips to the realization that her daughter was such a mix of her and Deandre. She was very understanding of things and blunt like herself but also wanted to get to the point of things quickly without much sugarcoating like her father.

"Well me and Deandre decided that we are going to separate for a while" Kora laid out straightly.

Dakota looked at her mother's face as her brain started o the process of the information. She didn't know if she should feel sadness or relief. She knew her parents marriage was slowly becoming toxic but she still held onto the image of them before everything turned left. She also found it crazy how after claiming to be so in love with someone as well as with them for eighteen years that all of that can just crumble and over what?

That's the thing that really bothered Dakota. Her parents were so fine until they suddenly weren't. There weren't any signs she saw or anything. It made her believe that love just wasn't real or held enough weight to be prolonged. It's exactly why she stayed away from such, but deep down, a part of her had hope that they would fix their relationship.

"Oh" Dakota finally responded before another thought crossed her mind "so is y'all getting a divorce..?" She questioned lowly.

Kora's eyes widened slightly as she was expecting that to be questioned but at the same time crossed her fingers that it wouldn't, "No kota, we just need some space from each other. We've been together for so long which is bound to cause some bumps but that's why they say 'distance makes the heart grow fonder'."