❦Not a Date

N

N.S
October 26th

"Alright girls. Ten minute break then we getting back into it!" Coach Yanna said with a clap. I was absolutely thankful for it and immediately went over to grab my water jug.

"That's what I'm saying. Raina know she damn wrong for keeping that hard ass quick weave in," I heard the voice of Tyla said not too far from me. Even though I was done with my water intake, I still stayed in my position pretending that I wasn't.

I'm nosey as fuck and if they talking mess about a girl they talk to on the regular, I'm going to make sure they won't say nothing about me.

"Exactly what I'm saying! How you expect to have perfect hair whips and the hair not whipping?" I identified the second voice to be Lanay. Lanay I've heard before gossiping. I mean she always talking about something or somebody! But soon as she's in the presence of an authorities figure, Coach for example. She acts like she so perfect!

"Then coach has the nerve to have that girl be next to Courtney. Imma talk to her about that," Tyla replied in reference to Raina being the team's ace which really just means she's the shortest on the team so therefore she has to be behind our captain.

I also noticed that as she was saying that. Her voice began to sound farther away than before, meaning the two had walked off.

Soon as they were gone I put my water jug back in its previous position as I began walking back to where everyone else was. I wanted to tell Raina what Tyla and Lanay were saying about her because she's a nice girl and that's fucked up— but I also don't want to be in any drama especially the kind that can threaten my own position on the team.

I tend to stay to myself here. I make small talk with the girls and keep in cool and cordial but nothing more. Only girl that you can say I indulge more with is Courtney and that's mostly because she always makes an effort to converse with me and she hasn't shown any signs of weirdness.

Speaking of Courtney. I watched as our captain walked over with our coach to the speaker. Meaning that we're about to jump back in.

"Alright y'all! On the bleachers come on," Coach Yanna clapped at us. Making everyone that wasn't paying attention like I was scramble into their positions onto the bench.

Courtney pressed play on the speaker before she jogged up the steps to join us.

The song Liberian Girl began coming through which is the song our marching band will be covering. I watched Yanna as she held up her fingers in the indication to get ready. She soon started the count to which Courtney responded to by raising up from the bleacher and starting her single routine. Once she sat back down it was then Raina's turn and after hers it was me plus Tyla and two other girls. We stayed milking the counts as the rest stood to follow beside Courtney and Raina.

When the counts were finished, our captain and ace stood to pick up in the routine that we were ending the counts at.

We continued going over the routine and additional two more times after that as a few girls were either not giving the right amount of energy or due to someone missing a count.