⁵ˣ⁰². ᵈʳᵉᵃᵐ ᵃ ˡⁱᵗᵗˡᵉ ᵈʳᵉᵃᵐ ᵒᶠ ᵐᵉ ᵖᵗ.² ᵒᶠ ²

season five, episode two

Ryan sat in an exam room, "Hello? Ryan?" Izzie said when looking at the intern, "Why are you ignoring me?" Ryan waited for Izzie to say something else, "I'm hoping if I wait long enough you'll be as annoyed by the sound of you voice as I am and ju...

Ryan sat in an exam room, "Hello? Ryan?" Izzie said when looking at the intern, "Why are you ignoring me?" Ryan waited for Izzie to say something else, "I'm hoping if I wait long enough you'll be as annoyed by the sound of you voice as I am and just shut up." He replied as Izzie gave him a look before scoffing, "Ok— Did I do something?"

"You know what you did."

Izzie shook her head, "No, I don't." She said back to him, "Ryan, just tell me. What did I do?" She questioned again, "Izzie, please just shut up." He commented to the blonde, "I was vulnerable for a second. I'm over it. You need to get over it too." He then replied to what Izzie slammed shut the door.

____

"What did you say to your brother?"

Meredith and Derek's conversation got cut by Izzie coming up to them looking at Ryan's sister, "I-I didn't say anything. I just said that it's nice that you two are friendly again." Meredith admitted as Izzie sighed, "Damn it, Meredith. Why can't you just mind your own business? I should have never told you. You can't keep anything to yourself unless it's for Cristina," Izzie stated walking away from Meredith who called out her name, "Izzie."

____

Ryan went towards the waiting room when seeing Sarabeth, "I sent Michael down for the CT." He told Sarabeth who kept her tears in, "I was hoping we could start the surgery. Get him in under the wire." He replied to the women, "But it's almost midnight, so—"

"It doesn't matter. I don't care. I don't." She repeated, as Ryan looked at him, "Do you know anything about Betty's husband? He— I think he was dying. Did—Have you heard anything?" Ryan shook his head, "No, but I can find out." He admitted about to walk away.

"Why do men cheat?"

Sarabeth simply questioned him, "My husband slept with my friend. He lost his job, and then slept with my friend, all while he was telling me he loves me," Sarabeth admitted, "Why?"

Ryan opened his mouth, "Maybe he was low. He was down and he didn't want you to see him like that. In pain. Weak. As less than a man." He stated, "He has his pride so he turned away. It's not right, but it—" Ryan sighed, "—It doesn't mean he doesn't care about you. I swear it doesn't." He said to Sarabeth who looked at him once more before Ryan walked away.

____

Sarabeth came into the room where her husband was as Ryan and Lexie Grey were also in there, "Michael, Sarabeth is here," George stated, "He's a little tired. The CT showed the hematoma's getting worse, so Dr Bailey and Dr Karev are gonna be taking him down to the OR soon." Ryan told Sarabeth, "But he um—He wrote you this letter."

"I'm not interested."

Lexie then said, "Sarabeth—" the women stopped in her tracks, "Sorry. That wasn't me, that was the letter." She said as she read the letter, "I know you hate me. Again, not me. The letter." Ryan looked at his sister, "I think she knows that."

Lexie then looked at the letter, "Um— I know you hate me right now, and you have every right to, I betrayed you. I betrayed our marriage." She reads out, "But I had lost my job and I couldn't tell you, so I told Anna instead, which was wrong and stupid." Lexie reads out, "And I've wanted to tell you a million times. And let you know how truly sorry I am."

Sarabeth glanced at her husband, "But now I have no voice, so I'm begging you, please, if you could just listen with your heart—" Lexie then looked at the letter, "That is so poetic," She said out loud with Ryan giving his sister a confused look, "When I tell you that I know you can't forgive me right now, but I'm gonna do everything in my power to make it up to you. But no matter what happens, no matter what you decide to do— I'm going to love you until the end of time." Lexie said when she looked up from the letter to where George said, "That's it. I'm done talking, well, he's done. He's done. The end."

Sarabeth had tears falling down her face looking at her husband, before she turned her back on him and walked out of the room.

____

Meredith let out a sigh, "I'm sorry about teasing you about Ryan," She stated to her blonde headed friend, "I forgive you," Izzie then said to her friend, who then walked away.

Whereas Ryan was still in Sarabeth's husband hospital room with his half sister, "Well, you look pretty stable," Ryan commented closing the chart he was reading, "which is pretty good because we can't let you go into your next surgery unless you're feeling strong and stable, ok?"

Sarabeth's husband frowned, "It happens, people make mistakes," Lexie intervened before Ryan could say anything, "You know, they sleep with the wrong person and they hide it, but if you ask me it's the part that comes after that matters, the part where you make it right," Lexie commented where Ryan half smiled at her comment.

"And I think you're off to a good start," Ryan then added with a kind smile, where Ryan then looked at his half sister knowing that she was speaking about George and the mistake of him sleeping with Meredith.

Where Ryan exited out of the man's hospital room, with the man's chart in hand going towards the nurse's station when he looked into a hospital room seeing Izzie speaking to Sarabeth and Anna, "It's better for her,"

Betty's best friends nod their heads, "Thank you." Izzie nods her head with a kind smile with the chart against her chest where she looked out of Betty's hospital room seeing Ryan standing there.

His eyes looking over Izzie where she stared right back at him before Ryan cleared his throat, looking away from the blonde headed resident, walking ahead to go towards the nurse's station.

____

Ryan Grey knew a lot about women, how to please them, how to make them comfortable in their own skin but one thing he didn't know was how to be vulnerable with them most of the time.

So he went back to his whorish ways and had met someone at the bar across the hospital after finishing his shift, kissing the girl he was taking home seeing Izzie Stevens come into the bar behind the girl who was now kissing at his neck.

Their eyes meeting for a brief second, a sense of regret in Izzie's eyes when the female had took Ryan's hand into hers and dragged him along making the Grey male follow after the girl, with his eyes moving away from Izzie's to let out a chuckle at the girl pulling him along.

____

The interns, residents and attendings all stood in a or room when their chief of surgery came into the room stopping everyone from talking.

Ryan's eyes looking at where their chief came into the room, his eyes going into the pockets of his lab coat, "We used to be the best surgical program in the West." The chief looked around, "An upstart program that no one ever heard of blew everyone out of the water. Then, overnight, we got old, entrenched and sloppy, just like everyone else,"

The chief stated when looking around at his staff, "We've been resting on our laurels. You have all been failing," Ryan looked down, "Failing to take initiative, failing to ask the tough questions. Failing to practice your skills. Failing to give opportunities to practice skills," Richard looked down, "And I let it happen. So you have not failed, we have failed."

"Well, it stops. And it stops now." Richard told his staff, "People sliding over general surgery as though they'll never see anything, but a heart or a brain through the course of their career," Ryan looked at their chief, "As though blood from the heart doesn't make its way through the whole body. Or the nerves don't travel past the brain stem. It's shoddy teaching, and it makes for shoddy surgeons." Richard looked at his attendings, "We've failed. Get it? We all have. And it stops now."

The chief stepped forwards, "The surgical training protocol is officially changing, people. The bar has been raised." The chief said looking around, "Consider yourself on notice." The chief said before walking out of the or room.