⁵ˣ¹⁹. ᵉˡᵉᵛᵃᵗᵒʳ ˡᵒᵛᵉ ˡᵉᵗᵗᵉʳ

season five, episode nineteen

"Karev!"

Ryan Grey yelled when seeing Alex Karev standing outside of his girlfriend's hospital room looking inside after every single one of the residents had went home or were sleeping in an on-call room, as the interns needed to stay for their overnight shift, "Dude,"

His hand touched Alex's shoulder who jumped at the contact on his arm, "You need to chill out, man," He looked into Izzie's hospital room seeing the blonde headed resident sleeping, "She's asleep." He commented as Alex nods his head, "I know. I'm just—"

"—Scared. She might not be actually sleeping." Alex gave Ryan a look at his words, "I checked on her breathing a few minutes ago, you standing here hovering isn't gonna do you or her any good, man, go and take a nap in the on-call room, I've got her." Alex looked at his girlfriend's ex, knowing that Ryan meant what he said.

Ryan looked at Alex, "I won't leave her side. But for you, you need to. I know Bailey would kill you if you were tired tomorrow, because you were worrying about your girlfriend when she hasn't even had the surgery yet," The Grey male intern commented knowing how Dr Bailey would be.

"Just stay with her." Ryan nods his head, confirming Alex's words, "I will, go and sleep, man. I'll page you if anything happens," Alex nods his head reassured by Ryan who watched the resident walk towards the neurosurgery on-call room.

Ryan checked in on Izzie every half an hour, to make sure that the blonde headed resident was still breathing.

____

"Hi, Dr Sloan." The women spoke, "These are Aunt Joyce's nephews, my brothers Tobias and Luke." Ryan stood next to his superior, "They flew in early this morning." The brothers looked at their sister, "Dr Sloan did the surgery."

Tobias looked at the surgeons, "I'm sorry." Dr Sloan looked at the man, "Your aunt is very sick. There's not much more we can do for her." He recalled as Ryan looked at the old lady, "Probably time to say your goodbyes."

"Do you mean," Tobias started to ask, "like, say our goodbyes now or sometime in the next twenty-four hours?" He questioned as Ryan furrowed his eyebrows, "I mean, what kind of time frame are we talking about?"

Dr Mark Sloan looked at the siblings, "Twenty-four hours seems unlikely," He said, "You sure?" Tobias questioned him, as Ryan looked at Tobias, "Because I have a flight to catch in the morning, and if I wait past noon then I can't change it." Tobias answered.

The two interns, Ryan and Lexie both looked confused, "I actually need to be on a plane tonight. I have a board meeting tomorrow." Luke answered, "So, do you think she'll die before tomorrow?"

The four surgeons looked at the siblings in confusion and shock, to what Mark answered again, "Twenty-four seems unlikely." He repeated as Ryan held the clipboard close to his chest stepping out of the room.