⁵ˣ¹². ˢʸᵐᵖᵃᵗʰʸ ᶠᵒʳ ᵗʰʳ ᵈᵉᵛⁱˡ

season five, episode twelve

"I hear Derek's mother coming to town

"I hear Derek's mother coming to town."

Ryan said appearing next to his older sister who jumped scared at her brother's appearance, "Jumpy, why are you jumpy?" Meredith turned to look at her twin brother, "Mothers don't like me. They never have."

"Dad's don't like me. I guess that something we got in common." Meredith looked at her brother at his comment where she then shook her head, "No helping. I need to go and see my patient." Meredith said as she started to walk away from her brother.

"Any word from UNOS?" Jackson Prescott's mother questioned the doctors that stood outside the boy's hospital room, "Not yet." Their chief of surgery stated, "Dr Karev and Dr Grey are in constant contact with them." Richard said trying to calm the mother.

"How much lounger will we have to wait? Are livers and intestines hard to find?" The mother questioned the surgeons, "Jackson's—" Sadie started to say, "blood is O positive, shouldn't be hard to match." Sadie tried to reassure the mother.

Dr Bailey gave Sadie a look, "But he's had blood transfusions, which means there could be extra antibodies that are hard to match, so we need to be patient, Melinda." Miranda explained to Melinda, "In the meantime, I need to run some tests of Jackson to check electrolytes."

Ryan, the entire time kept his eye on Jackson, who looked back out to the surgeons all standing outside his hospital room with his mother, where the intern paid attention as Sadie nudged him slightly as they started to walk away, "Ry." Sadie said.

The Grey male hummed, "Come on." She took Ryan's hand moving him away from outside of Jackson Prescott's hospital room, "Are you okay?" Ryan nods his head when he snapped out of it, "I'm fine. I need to go find Meredith to reassure her on Derek's mother being here."

"She was a mess last night." Sadie stated looking at her best friend's brother, "She wasn't even drinking. She just hogged the tequila, didn't share it." Ryan smiled at that, "She might just love tequila more than anything." He commented before walking away from Sadie with a smile on his lips.

____

"Hi."

Ryan went over to where Derek stood with his mother, "Ryan, Mom, this is Ryan. Meredith's brother," Carolyn Shepherd looked at the intern, "Ryan. Oh, your intern friend you were telling me about."

Ryan looked at Derek with a playful smile, "You talk about me to your mother?" The neurosurgeon looked at his friend, "What? No." Carolyn nods her head as Ryan chuckled, "Well, I hope it's all good things then."

Carolyn nods her head, "It is, You're one of this year's best interns," Ryan smiled at what Derek's mother had said, "And I hear you're in between pediatric and neurosurgeon." Ryan hummed, "Good thing. I still have my residency years to decide." He spoke with a charming smile when his pager beeped.

"It was lovely talking to you, Mrs Shepherd." The Grey male told Derek's mother with his charming smile plastered on his lips, "I need to go." He went to the room Alex had paged him to when seeing Arizona and Miranda arguing.

"Shut up!"

Both of Ryan and Alex's superiors looked at the two of them, "Respectfully. Respectfully, Shut up." Alex then waved his phone, "We have organs." He explained as Ryan smiled.

____

"Mrs Shepherd, Hi."

Ryan wasn't in Jackson Prescott's surgery since Arizona thought that Ryan was getting too emotionally attached to the little boy so instead he was just doing post-ops, "Ryan." Carolyn Shepherd looked at her son's friend, "I know that Meredith is a bit off today with the high ponytail and the smiling with the teeth. That isn't her." He explained to the women about his sister.

"Meredith— she's amazing, she always has been." He stated looking at the older Shepherd women, "She went into freezing cold water that she died in cause she thought a patient was in there. She—she doesn't show emotion, when she's hurting, she doesn't know how to cope, she keeps it all locked up." Ryan said to the Shepherd women who stared at Ryan, "Please don't. Don't judge her off of how she's been today, because when you actually get to know her. She's kind—"

Carolyn Sheoherd looked at Ryan, "She is lucky to have you as a brother, Ryan." The Shepherd women stated patting Ryan's arm with a kind smile before she walked away from the intern who stayed in place watching as Carolyn walk away, "Can you tell me where the gift shop is?"

"Uh, first floor, east wing." Carolyn nods her head before going around the corner and disappearing from Ryan's eye sight.