4

I was at my desk writing a statistical report on the latest results when a lion came through the window. I came forward to pet him, when I BECAME the lion, then a goat, and someone appeared to milk me and make cheese with my milk. Eventually I found myself galloping, then running, I was human again, in a forest of skeletal trees, made up of bone branches that creaked under my feet. The trout-shaped flip flops I was wearing prevented me from running effectively and I fell into a crevasse. The fall seemed endless to me, when the impression of dreaming arose : I was not having lucid dreams usually, but at that moment, it was the only explanation that came to my mind. My dream withdrew inside myself, and I saw my body, more and more precisely, as if my eye were a microscope. I observed the tendons, my bones, my muscles and my organs, from the broadest point of view until I could distinguish the cells. Then the elements in the cells, my own DNA, down to the component nucleotides, to the molecules, then to the atoms and electrons wandering around. I came to the composite elements of the atoms, which I could not name but I felt the different energies which bound these parts together. The impression of being the smallest possible elements, even of understanding the functioning of the infinitely small was fleeting, but left an indelible trace in my mind.

I emerged completely lost, half awake and suddenly hot and then cold. My blanket was gone, along with the stuffed animal. I didn't know what time it was or how long I had slept. I was disturbed by the dream, and got up to go to the toilet and steal a blanket somewhere else. I couldn't find mine, despite the smallness of the room. The moonlight hadn't moved much in the hallway, so I figured I hadn't slept for more than an hour or two. It must have been almost midnight. I pulled the duvet from the back bedroom, near the toilets, and I quietly returned to the hallway at night, so I could go back to sleep more easily than if I had turned on all the lights. I was about to enter my room when I made out a large figure inside, who was standing and seemed to be looking for something. I didn't have the presence of mind to run away, I just screamed instead. I was too dozy to run anyway. The silhouette jumped and turned around just as sharply. I then noticed that they were holding a box and some sort of thing wrapped in dirty toilet paper in their other hand. Before I could get away, they turned on the light and I found myself blinking, blinded by the sudden light.

"I suppose you're the guest ? Yaga asked me to drop off something to eat, and to check that everything was fine. I got worried, not seeing anyone."

My sight recovered, I was able to detail my visitor: he was a harassed man, in a white suit and ugly tie, blond and rather tall. He seemed tired of living and of having only one desire : going home to sleep. Seeing the rings he had, he obviously deserved a vacation. And an effective concealer, to make him look human again.

"Oh, yes, sorry! I had gone to look for another blanket, mine disappeared."

A shiver ran through me : couldn't it have disappeared on its own ? Someone must have come into my room ? The stuffed animal was also no longer there? Another problems... .

"What's going on ? You look like you saw a ghost."

The man seemed worried.

"How could the duvet and a stuffed animal vanish while I was sleeping ? That means someone came in to steal them, right ?"

I started shivering with fear and cold because the pajamas weren't super warm. I didn't feel like sleeping at all now.

"I'll check all other rooms. Stay there if you want while waiting. Oh and here, take this."

And he handed me a box full of biscuits and filled rolls, as well as drinks. I took a bottle of water and followed him, it was out of the question to be alone in my room. The verification was done quickly, there was no one. The man turned to me :

" I don't detect anything, did anything unusual happen while you were sleeping ?"

" No, apart from my strange dream, but I'm used to them having neither head nor tail, so... nothing to report."

"You don't know if the stuffed animal fell somewhere else ?"

He thought for a moment.

"I do not like it. It might be best for you to come back to the main building, where we can protect you. I heard what happened to you broadly, and so many strange occurrences in a day strike me as suspicious. It's better to watch yourself more closely and make sure you're safe."

" I came to the same conclusion ! I replied, I don't want to sleep now !"

"Well, wrap yourself in the blanket, and follow me."

I put on my shoes and brought the food, and I followed him outside.

"And what is your name ?" I asked politely, annoyed to disturb him. He led the way, his broad back barely lit by the moonlight.

" Nanami Kento, exorcist and former student of this school. And you ?"

" Molly Warcemmna. I am a biologist at the B***** company."

"Oh, biologist ? It's rare to come across people from your industry here. Do you like your job ?"

" Yes, even if like everywhere, there are advantages and disadvantages. And you, does exorcism work for you ?"

Nanami turned to me to respond with raw frankness :

"No, I hate it. But I hated my old job even more, so let's say it's not so bad in comparison."

We had arrived before I could ask him what else he had done. He led me to a common room, with sofa and small kitchen, as well as a large table. A computer and a TV were in the corner of the room. I had to contact my colleagues and my relatives. And check my emails. And lots of other things. Nanami headed to the kitchen to make some tea, and poured me a cup before leaving.

"I'm going to warn Yaga, rest here while we advise what to do."

"OK. Thanks for the tea."

And he went away, leaving me alone on the couch. I had time to finish my tea, nibbling on a packet of biscuits because I felt hungry, and the warmth of the blanket helping, I fell asleep soundly. Without waking up this time, or dreaming. But not without drooling a bit.