5

The morning light woke me up. I was numb from sleeping on a sofa in an unconventional position, so I was stretching to loosen my muscles. I was hungry again, and my mouth was pasty. I felt a little better though, sleep had put some order in my thoughts. I wandered around for a little while to find the toilet and when I came back, Gojo, Nanami, Shoko and Yaga were in the room. The coffee pot was on, and they were waiting for it to finish. I walked into the room timidly, because I didn't really know them, and I didn't feel like I belonged. I wanted to go home and forget everything (not really). The others turned to me when I entered, as if waiting for me.

Yaga addressed me first:

" Finally awake ? Nanami explained to me that something scared you last night, and that's why he brought you back here."

I didn't dare say it was the missing blanket and the missing stuffed animal that freaked me out, it sounded stupid enough said like that. Even if it was justified, I felt like I was being unnecessarily dramatic.

" I think someone came into the room while I was sleeping. Things disappeared in my sleep, and I was too uncomfortable to go back to sleep there. Nanami offered me to come back here, and I accepted, I didn't think I would spend the night there."

They were all looking at me with a bit of suspicion ? Or doubtful ? I couldn't figure out exactly, but they seemed to know something about the situation that I didn't. I was getting tired of being in the dark, it was time to communicate.

"Could I use the computer ? I would like to call my work, my landlord and my parents. And I have a whole bunch of stuff to check too, and papers to redo. In short, work in perspective."

Yaga looked at Gojo, who got up, threw down his cup and put his hands in his pockets, phlegmatic.

"I'll come back at the end of the morning to test her, Yaga. See you later", he said, addressing me specifically.

" Uh, okay." I watched him go, and waited for an answer. Yaga seemed annoyed, he was scratching his head as if to gain time.

" Yes, of course we'll let you access the internet. Give me time to bring some stuff if you want to change first."

"Oh thank you ! I didn't think you could do that. I hope I can go home tonight however, I don't want to bother you any longer."

" There's no harm done... We'll see."

Shoko and Nanami were talking in low voices. She turned to me to speak to me :

" How's your head ? Have you regained your memory since yesterday ?"

I hadn't thought about it when I woke up. I was about to say no, when I came back in my train of thought, because there were memories that weren't there yesterday. Shit. Hesitantly, I tried to relay what had come back to me :

"Well, I think I remember going to the recovery room because I had a terrible headache. I must have fallen asleep long enough, long enough for it to pass a little and it was starting to get dark. It surprises me because my colleagues would have come to wake me up in the meantime. I.."

I was thinking as I told it. Concern for my colleagues was growing, not having heard from them made my stomach ache. I grimaced:

"My last memory of yesterday is not one, it's just an emotion. The only thing I remember is being terrified like I've never been. I still have the feeling rooted in me", I said holding my stomach. Thinking about it made my blood run cold, my palms became sweaty and I felt my lips tremble. Something had truly terrified me, and my brain had preferred to erase this traumatic memory without completely succeeding.

My state of stress seemed convincing enough for them to approach me, worried. Yaga gave my shoulder a comforting squeeze, telling me that I was safe. Shoko shook her head in denial and handed me some food :

' It will be fine, there is no need to be afraid here. Eat !"

Well, I was not really reassured, and I wondered what Gojo meant before leaving. They seemed to be hiding important information from me. I sat down to snack on what Shoko had given me and listen. It felt like Yaga wanted to ask me something but couldn't, while Shoko had lost interest in the situation and Nanami seemed ready to leave. He went to turn on the computer and came back to me :

" I opened the internet, and there is a landline next door if needed. Have a good day."

Yaga followed him, still hesitating. He gave a last look to Shoko who rolled her eyes :

"Don't worry, I'm watching her."

Once gone, I ventured to ask him why my presence created a certain tension, and why be watched ? I didn't matter so much, not enough to mobilize four adults ? She looked at me for a long moment, weighing her words, or I imagined it ? She took out a cigarette and opened the window before starting to smoke.

"Given the explosion that destroyed the place where we found you, it is clear that you could not have survived it : so either something protected you, or you were left there after the fact. Your situation is abnormal, and in our world, what is abnormal is a problem. Since yesterday, we have been trying in turn to determine your level of danger. It means globally, if you risk killing people or something like that."

" KILL PEOPLE ? Are you out of your mind ?? I would never do that ?

" There is a difference between wanting and being able, and some things escape our control, and happen despite everything."

She took a long puff, which swirled around the room for a moment.

" No one wanted to tell you, fearing that you were still too fragile to bear these questions. The revelation of the exorcism and the whole mess must have disturbed you. But I think you're tougher than they think, and we need answers fast. The city authorities are trying to find out what happened, as are our exorcist leaders. It is not fashionable to have a place completely wiped off the map in the middle of Tokyo and no information on it. Apart from you, who knows nothing. For the moment."

I was petrified. They really suspected me ! And must have had their reasons, even if I didn't see what I could have done. Or how to clarify the situation.. I wanted to cry.

Shoko sat up and stubbed out her cig.

" Well, I have work to do. Enjoy your free time before Gojo comes back. It's not a threat ! He's supposed to help you regain your memory with his powers, from what he told me. He has planned a "great plan"! You should be enlightened by noon. See you soon."

I was left alone, and after a quick turn to get dressed in the sweater and pants that Yaga had left for me, I finally stood in front of the computer. I entered the name of my company on the internet in order to retrieve the phone so that I could call them. I got no answer, the phone was ringing busy. I still left a message saying that I was sick and that I could not come to work. Then, I contacted my landlord to explain my situation to him and we came to an agreement : I would come by at the end of the day to collect a duplicate of the keys. I spent the next hour checking my emails, contacting my relatives via social networks to warn them of the loss of my phone, etc... It was quite dazed by the screen when Yaga came back to get me. Gojo was waiting for me outside. It was time to recover my memory.

Notes :

I am in danger... or am I the danger ?