16

The meeting to decide how to kill me publicly began.

We were all gathered, me, Yaga, Shoko, Panda and Nanami, around a table and having tea to come up with a realistic plan. Among the constraints put forward: not leaving a recognizable body, either not leaving any at all, or finding one and disfiguring it enough so that no one can understand that it was not me. My death also had to be visible with witnesses to confirm or video evidence. Finally, the plan had to use as little cursed energy as possible, just to avoid attracting too curious disruptive elements. The simpler the better.

Everyone had a more or less crazy idea and counter-arguing to each theory put forward during the chaotic conversation. I put forward my idea, which had come to me after my discussion with Yaga.

"Ok, my plan is simple. First, I pretend to escape from a street kidnapping. I run towards the police who are not far away, and someone, disguised so as not to be recognized, pursues me and shoots me, with a blank gun of course. I collapse and crawl between two cars on the side of the road, and the person comes to finish me off by shooting me again. Then they leaves, and while I'm slipping under the car I go through the manhole and away, while the car explodes with a corpse inside."

Shoko laughed hearing my plan.

"Molly, did we say simple ?"

Yaga laid it on thick :

"And why would the car explode ?"

"Because they fired into the tank ! " I answered.

"Molly, aren't we in a movie after all ?! Where do you want us to find a corpse, a gun and a car to explode in a public place and next to the police ?"

"For the corpse, I can provide it, alas." Shoko cut in, raising her hand briefly. "It arrived yesterday."

She quickly looked at Nanami, who lowered his eyes and didn't participate. It was "good news", to have a body available. I'll think about the ethical implications later. For the moment, I was disappointed that my plan was not accepted, even if I suspected that the logistical part would have been complicated to implement.

Yaga continued with his idea :

"Suicide might work. Let's imagine that you throw yourself off a bridge after having argued in vain with a passer-by, or better, a policeman. He sees you disappear into the water, and the disappearance of your body will not be questioned."

" Why not ! But how do I survive the fall, if the bridge is high enough for me to die instantly ?"

" Do we put armbands on you ?" Panda burst out laughing at his lame joke.

"Very funny.. I don't control my own power enough to survive the impact. And even if someone catches up to me just before, there would still have to be a "splash"! How do we do then ?"

"And Gojo is not available, indeed, it will not work." Yaga frowned.

"The abandoned warehouse, the one not far from the destroyed laboratory." Nanami had spoken, filled with weariness.

We all looked at him, as he had been silent for a while. He continued his explanation while staring at me.

"There is an old company that went bankrupt and that no one has taken over. The street out front has CCTV cameras, but the warehouse doesn't, and there are lots of blind spots. We could pretend to kill you there, in front of the cameras, with enough clues to recognize you on them. Then we drag your corpse away, with a nice trail of blood and we make it disappear. It will then suffice to cause a small accident for the agents to check the cameras and that's it."

" Incredible. What a brilliant idea !" I exclaimed.

Yaga added :

" We could use the corpse and burn it, leaving it there, just to be sure ?"