25

My discussion with Gojo left me perplexed, as I expected more contradiction from him regarding my decision. He hadn't given up on training me for combat though, despite my insistence on staying out of it. I let it go though, relieved not to be reprimanded more than that. He hadn't told me about my new position in the infirmary, so I assumed he had no objections and that I could continue my work for the long term.

Which I did the next day, this time determined to try to modify my own body. I had almost finished reviewing it, and I had a nice mental map of it now. It was time to check if I was able to move the small elements composing it without risking my life and by extension others too. So I chose to work on my left little finger, because if I ever failed, I could afford to lose it without too much harm.

I concentrated my power in my finger to perceive it in its entirety. I thus distinguished the pulp of my little finger, the hardness of the keratin of my nail and the pulsations of my blood through the fine blood vessels irrigating the whole. I could not help but be amazed again by the number of sensory receptors contained in this small surface of skin, our fingers being marvels of precision to feel the slightest thing on objects. I started by applying my energy to my red blood cells, since that was the first thing I had learned to master. I grabbed them to concentrate them at the tip of my finger, which had the effect of making it red and hot, then dispersed them, which made it white and cold. I alternated going back and forth, my finger blushing and fading, in order to fully take control of this function. Well, that, I mastered. Now I focused on the walls of the vessels, slightly moving the cells composing them. I suddenly burst a vessel, despite my precautions. It was more complicated than moving a cluster of blood cells in a liquid. I continued for a while, until I could contract and expand these vessels easily by manipulating their cells. A good hour had passed and I gave myself a little break to take a breather, because although it didn't take much energy, it required crazy concentration and I was tired.

I resumed my experiments by observing the muscles and what made them move. Without moving my finger, I activated the cells responsible for the movement and it began to jump. I then touched my nerves, carefully, and watched them, doing nothing more. This work there would wait, because too complex for me for the moment. Finally, I focused on the layers of cells that made up my skin, destroying a hair to test. It worked well, I was going to be able to wax easily and painlessly now ! Well, if I wanted to, I had other things on my mind before looking after my appearance, besides my hair on my legs was longer than the hair on my head now that I thought about it.

I fixed my attention on my skin cells, trying to swap them places to see if I could manipulate them. Buried in my experience, I suddenly felt a hand land on my shoulder and my concentration was scattered. I jumped strongly and my power escaped me : the cells that I moved slightly moved apart suddenly and a large cut formed on my finger. My surprise having caused me to lose my restraint, my power dug deeper than expected, and blood spurted out.

I turned around to yell with all my might at the person who had distracted me : it was Nanami. He stood back a little, his hands in the air and looked at me with a look of surprise. After a moment, I realized that he saw me quite pissed off and with my hand bleeding, which was a valid reason for reacting like this. I calmed down immediately, unlike Gojo, I was sure he hadn't done it on purpose, and I let out a sigh :

" Oh it's you ? Hold on, I'll try to fix this first."

Without waiting for an answer, I refocused on my wound, an unexpected but welcome exercise to test my healing skills. I would have done without it, but one day or another, I would have had to try, so I might as well take advantage of this situation to gain experience. I seized all the cells that I had damaged without making a mistake with my power and I attached them delicately, one after the other. I moved slowly, reconstructing the layers of skin, scraped bone and burst blood vessels, carefully reshaping their elements back to their intact form. I pushed myself back in my chair when I was done. I was relieved to have succeeded, even though it had taken me longer than expected. Nanami was still there, watching me carefully. I stood up to face him.