14

Even though he was a gigantic asshole, Gojo was right about one thing. I couldn't stay terrified of everything, unable to master my inner bomb. I was going to have to try to figure out how to trigger my power and limit its power to what I wanted to do with it. I would later consider Gojo to be an assumed murderer, as his statement didn't seem to be about curses but about humans. I wondered if he had gone through the same emotions and guilt as I am now. However, I had one last question to ask :

" Gojo ?"

"Yes."

"Why are you trying so hard to push me to use it ? I am dangerous, it is a fact. And yet you make an effort to help me. It surprises me somewhat, to protect someone who has only brought problems ? And as you say, you're the most powerful, so why bother with me, who might accidentally kill other people ? Wouldn't it be easier for you to eliminate me to avoid problems ?"

" I told you, however, that we lacked exorcists. And that you could become powerful. You're not very smart after all."

"And that's enough for you ? Do you see the potential in people and base yourself on that ? But if we don't do what you want ? That we end up turning against you ?"

"Well, I would kill you if you become a threat to the population or my students. It's that simple. Besides, stop believing that dying to escape your guilt is a solution, you're not fooling anyone and even less yourself. No matter how much you play dead and let go like before, your survival instinct is still well developed. I can't wait to continue training it !"

He twirled his blindfold around his fingers, nonchalantly. As if his statement was just a formality and not a death threat. Well, I asked for it, I wasn't supposed to complain about his answer. He had scored a point elsewhere, and a little too well identified my personality, and I felt embarrassed to be so readable. I was ridiculous and pathetic, it was time to take control. I lifted my head with determination.

"Go for practice ! This time I'm ready !"

" Well ! I found a great idea to help you detect cursed energy ! Here, catch !"

And he sent me his headband, which I received as best I could, surprised.

"Put it ! You must not be able to see anything, otherwise it will not work !"

I did, taken aback and wondering what was going to happen to me. I was quite worried about his new idea, the latest one having ended in trauma for me. But I was committed this time, and I really intended to evolve ! I had to control my energy, I had no choice. What a change of state of mind, in one hour I had completely abandoned the idea of doing nothing, and moving my ass ! Now, it was necessary to see if I was capable of it... the battle was not won.

I couldn't see anything anymore, blindfolded. However, I heard the creaking of the branches, and the blowing of the wind all around me. My other senses were alert to what Gojo was planning to do. His voice came to me, distant :

" I'm going to throw "cursed energy balls" at you, they aren't deadly but particularly painful, so if you don't want to suffer too much, hurry up to detect them to avoid them !"

He finished his sentence with a laugh, and the stress took hold of me. "Concentrate Molly !" I kept repeating to myself, "try to feel, I don't know, the heat, the noise, a movement of air, something!"

" Ouch! " I cried when the first ball touched me. I was rubbing my arm, the pain was violent, like an electric shock and I felt like I had been burned. I hadn't felt anything coming and the surprise had amplified the blow.

For too long a time for my liking, a deluge of painful balls hit me all over, up and down, in my ribs, hips, legs, arms and face. I had a swollen eye... I felt nothing except the blood in my temples throbbing, waiting for the next painful impact. I don't know when the changeover happened. Was it the number of impacts, the fact that previous curses tickled my instincts, or was it just subconsciously fed up ? All of a sudden, my mind cleared, and I felt something at its border. I still couldn't see anything, but, oddly, a sixth sense took over and the electric ball that hit me didn't appear out of nowhere, I saw it coming at the last moment. Despite the shock, a wild joy seized me: I had felt it !!! I fixed my attention on this sensation, trying to understand how it worked and how to evoke it again. The fear of losing it occupied my mind, and I tried to stay focused on this new thing. And finally, I had the impression that a new vision opened up to me: the space was dark but I strongly felt the figure charged with energy which floated in front of me, as the energy of Gojo. I couldn't help but smile broadly, happy to have succeeded. Gojo tossed another ball, which came slowly enough for me to dodge, and I stepped to the side to let it dart past me. It went and hit the tree behind, much to my satisfaction. Gojo disappeared from my field of vision to reappear behind me, a few meters away and started again. I turned to face him, and dodged his electric bullet again. My smile grew even wider. Finally ! Finally, I felt like I was making progress !
We continued this little game for a while longer, the time to convince Gojo that I was able to see the energy. Then the exercise resumed, without the blindfold and more quickly, just to check that I was able to do so with my eyes open. Yes. Once I understood the trick, I couldn't forget it.