56

I contained my nervousness by gritting my teeth and wearing my best smile, but nothing helped. Neither Shoko nor Nanami were fooled, and they came towards me, worried. I raised my hands to reassure them, and in a voice a little too quivering for my taste, said:

" It's okay, it's nothing. Don't worry, it'll pass, I'm just annoyed."

Shoko frowned.

"Are you sure you don't risk exploding the class and us with it ?"

My laugh stuck in my throat came out a little strangled.

" Krrkr.. no, it should be fine. I think I can contain myself."

Nanami sighed, looked at me before patting the table, displeased.

" I understand now why you didn't want to call them. I almost want to call your father back to worm the infos out of them for you. If someone outside of you contacts them, do you think they would talk?"

I thought about his proposal for a moment, trying to put myself in the shoes of my moron parents. I grimaced.

" Nah, I don't think so. They are stubborn, especially my mother, and they would be even more suspicious since they don't know you."

Nanami raised an eyebrow.

" What if I tell them I'm your boyfriend?"

I felt myself blushing all of a sudden at the idea.

" They would believe you even less. I have never introduced anyone to them and my mother despairs of seeing me still single. She won't even believe that I'm finally settled, much less with someone of your level."

"What do you mean ?"

I found myself sputtering.

" Uh.. well you're beautiful and in good health, and uh you have a job, and uh.."

Shoko coughed.

" I'm still here, you know? I am waiting for my compliments too huh.."

I blushed frankly before turning to her.

"Same for you, Shoko!"

She laughed.

"Are we going out together too?"

"No ! I mean, you have your qualities.. uh, no it doesn't mean anything, forget, I'm losing myself, this story is going to drive me crazy!"

Nanami moved closer and stroked my back quietly.

"It'll be fine Molly, breathe, we'll find a solution. All together, you are not alone."

His touch soothed me, and I regained my peace slowly. He was right, anyway I wasn't really in a hurry anymore. I had almost di.. no, I had died and risen again, I had all the time in front of me. Too bad I didn't remember anything from my time in the Underworld. I would have shaken hands with the devil after going down there because my main sin had been to masturbate.. and gluttony.. . Stuffed pastries. They had led me to my downfall, that was for sure. That, or the assassination of my colleagues, I wasn't sure.. maybe one had to weigh more than the other in the balance, though.

" Molly? Are you somewhere else?"

I gave myself a kick up the backside, just to evacuate the negativity and find my combativeness. I clapped my hands suddenly, to cheer myself up.

"Well, come on, let's continue the search! My father spoke of a lycoris temple, it's already a lead. And then we'll look for information on my murderer!"

Shoko retrieved the family tree.

" Do you mind if I take it away? I would like to show it to people who know about it and who can do more research on this one than we do. Don't worry, it won't get out of here and I trust them for discretion. I would like to inform Yaga about this as well."