47

A blazing sensation in my chest for hours. My head pulses with painful flashes, but the coma in which I drown myself does not allow me to understand what is happening. Everything is confused, I'm immersed in a cotton ball that is suffocating me and I feel myself floating.
A painful sensation in my back, the floor was so hard.
And cold, very cold feeling woke me up.

I hurt all over, but the scorching heat that had set me ablaze during my half-sleep had subsided. Totally confused, I felt the cold surface on which I was resting, before gently half-opening one eye in order to not to dazzle myself too suddenly. I needed time to get used to the ambient light, and continued to grope my surrondings, realizing little by little that I was lying on a frozen metal table. A thin sheet covered my body that I had bare, which I had just realized. No wonder I was so cold. It took me another time to adjust to recognize the room : I was in the infirmary room, cool, but the room where Shoko stored the corpses. Not cool.
My brain was idling, it took me several minutes to understand that if I was there and not in my usual bed,it was because they all thought I was dead. Besides, maybe I was waiting for a future autopsy. The thought made me shudder and I tensed my numb muscles to straighten up and leave. I didn't know how long I had been immobilized like this, but my body was very heavy, I was completely numb. My back cracked as soon as I straightened it and the table being small, I immediately tipped to the side, falling heavily as I dragged it. It made a monstrous din, a metal table and a not-so-lightweight young woman crashing onto a tiled floor. My attempt had ended badly : I was prostrate on the ground, stark naked, the sheet torn and the table crushing me with all its weight. I couldn't move, not having the strength, and I wandered again. I was clearly not recovered from I don't even know what ? My memory was fuzzy and a migraine was showing up to my great despair. Another shitty day.

I stayed in the fetal position for long minutes, trying to gather enough energy to find the strength to tilt the table. I fidgeted a bit, freeing my legs before I managed to slip out of its grip. I sat up then trembling, the effort had been too huge for my weakened body. I was going to take the torn sheet to cover my nudity when the door opened right in front of me, letting everybody see me. Fuck.

Shoko's expression was frankly funny to see, I had never seen someone so surprised in her life, and it was even more striking that she remained jaded most of the time. She stammered a few words :

"Wh.. You're not dead ???"

I sketched a tired smile :

"Surprise !"

Not resisting to make a little joke, I added :

" Bring me a bottle of water, I want to see if I can make wine now that I am resurrected."

Shoko was shocked. She blinked several times, then moved towards me with her hand outstretched, to check if I was real. She withdrew it as soon as contact was made and was finally able to say a complete sentence.

"Why are you naked ?"

I had momentarily forgotten, too focused on her and blushed violently as I pulled the sheet over me.

" I woke up like this and I didn't have time to get dressed before you opened the door."

She shook her head.

"Excuse me, I'm so surprised that I don't know what I'm saying anymore. Come on, I'll help you. You look very weak to me, you need to rest. Then you will explain to me how you came back from the dead."

She put my arm over her shoulder to lift me to my bed in the infirmary. The relief was immediate when I lay down in it : my body was still shaking from the effort. I crawled under the covers and the warm feeling almost made me cry. I was alive.