53

I was swallowing my saliva when he dropped the bomb : I was choking, started coughing and the deep breath I took gave me hiccups. I faced him, unable to answer, my eyes watering from my inability to breathe. I didn't know what to say when I regained my breath finally :

"What ?"

Nanami burst into a slightly embarrassed laugh.

"I didn't mean to scare you ! I'm only asking you because I know your dorm room isn't very comfortable, and also because I'm still worried about you. I would rather have you with me than alone here."

" Hic. Okay I understand. You still haven't recovered from my sudden resurrection and you want to keep an eye on me, is it ? Hic."

He raised a surprised eyebrow.

" Uh.. yes, it is. In fact, I had planned to propose this solution to you before even declaring myself. After what happened to you, I was thinking that you probably needed to get some time outside of the school."

" Hic."

I didn't know why I answered dryly. It was kinda rude and not very nice of me, and I couldn't process my own emotions. I should have jumped for joy that he offered me this ! Especially so fast !

Well, maybe that was the problem.

I needed time alone to think and process everything that had just happened.

" Hic. Sorry. I didn't want to look so dry. Thanks for the offer, and I'll think about it, but for now, at least tonight, I think it's best that I stay in my room."

Nanami raised his hands, stepping back slightly.

"No worries, I'm not putting any pressure on you, don't worry ! It was a simple proposal, at least for tonight."

He lowered them, and his tone became very serious.

" On the other hand, I maintain it for the future. Of the two of us, I'm the one who has an apartment away from school and its problems, and I think that if we want to have some privacy, this is the best place for us. And I don't intend to take you there just to kiss : I want you to consider it your home too."

Despite his calm demeanor as he explained this to me, I detected a blush on his cheekbones as he finished his sentence. Kissing eh..

" I mean since we agreed to be a couple, it would make sense to live together ? In another case, I would never have asked you that so soon, but now, since you don't really have a home anymore... I don't think it's uninteresting for you, don't you think ? Well, I do not know. How do you feel about it ?"

I smiled, shaking my head reassuringly. I suspected he meant no harm and was trying to make me as comfortable as possible. He wasn't wrong either, I didn't have an apartment since my power had triggered and had destroyed my whole life.

" I agree with you, Hic. I never doubted your good faith, I'm just totally surprised and I just need a little time to digest. Dealing at the same your declaration of love, then kissing me, Hic, and finally offering to live with you in less than an hour, that's a lot for someone who had never experienced anything emotionally."

I couldn't suppress a nervous laugh, interspersed with louder and louder gasps.

" In addition, Hic, you just told me that you refused, Hic, to be in a relationship and then you tell me the opposite, Hic, and you ask me to live with you !? It's quite funny, admit it ! Hic."

He scratched his head, embarrassed that I noticed this little inconsistency.

"I explained it to you, seeing you die kind of kicked my ass, and I don't intend to waste my time anymore."