72

Sooo.. I was right, she was hiding something from us and I was happy that the resolution of this story was so quick. At least, I hoped so and intended to worm her secret out of her nose : I could not let another mystery about my family exist ! I had suffered enough to want to fight for the truth. So I moved forward to face Sister Aella, who had gotten up in the meantime, leaving the book on the chair.

"That's to say ? Explain yourself ! "

She raised an eyebrow.

" What do you want me to explain ?"

Ok, so she thought I was an idiot. Except that I wasn't in the mood, and my sockless feet in my sneakers put me in an uncomfortable situation that made me tense even more. I felt my eyes narrow with the wave of anger building inside me, waiting for the tiniest reason to explode.

" Why did you wait for us here instead of just taking us there earlier ? Couldn't you explain to me rather than rely on my good will and my curiosity ? Do you think I care about visiting a convent at night ? Say your reasons, we'll save time and I can finally go to bed !"

" You're really not a nice girl, I mean. I welcome you, I help you, I exorcise you and yet you only criticize my actions.. Recognition, do you know the name of it or are you too rude ?"

I bowed very low, mimicking a bow that was too deep to be sincere.

"A thousand apologies Madam, please accept my most sincere thanks for your warm welcome, and this pleasant exorcism session, or should I even say RELAXATION session, as it was SO PLEASURABLE !"

Sarcasm oozed into my voice and she gave me a constipated smile, her fury showing behind her falsely kind face. We were both on the verge of falling apart. She grimaced one last time before calming down. With tight lips, she spoke softly:

"Hm hm okay, I'm sorry. I'm sincere in saying that I didn't expect your huge curse and would have done it differently if I could. Your curse ran deeper than expected and mixed with the other, and I almost killed you ..hm, uh yeah okay. You survived at least, that's the main positive thing!"

I closed my eyes, taking a dramatic pause before screaming:

"PARDON ME ?? YOU ALMOST KILLED ME IF I UNDERSTOOD CORRECTLY !!? BUT SERIOUSLY, WHERE ARE WE ? AND WHY ARE YOU ATTRACTING ME HERE ? IS THIS ANOTHER CHALLENGE THAT WILL KILL ME ? I CAME TO SEEK DEFINITIVE SOLUTIONS TO MY PROBLEM, BUT NOT IN THIS SENSE, SHIT !"

She lost her patience again, and shouted at me in response:

"YES BUT IT'S NOT MY FAULT, I'M ONLY HERE TO FIX OTHERS' MISTAKES SO DON'T POUR WATER ON A DROWNING MAN ! AND I HAVE A GOOD REASON TO MAKE YOU COME HERE, SO LISTEN TO ME FOR A LITTLE INSTEAD OF SCREAMING YOUR HEAD OFF !"

" WELL, SPIT IT OUT ! I'M WAITING FOR THIS!"

We stood face to face, panting after getting so angry, and Aella ran a hand over her face, before turning around and picking up the book she had left behind.

" You are cursed."

I crossed my arms over my chest and responded, rolling my eyes.

" No way ?! That's why I'm here, stupid!"

She swallowed the insult she was about to send me, seeming to hold back to appear smarter than me, but I didn't give a damn about coming across as a 13 year old. She got on my nerves and each insult soothed me deliciously. I hadn't digested the torture session of the afternoon and I took revenge on her.

" You are cursed. And me too."

My acerbic smile immediately faded. She smiled ironically, delighted to see me touched.