Chapter 5

❄️

Wolsey looked at you with a worried expression. His hands were shaking as he handed you a box of food for your dinner.

"Thanks." Taking the box from him, you turned on your heel to sit down at the tables.

However, the cafeteria was fairly vacant.

You sat down at a table, looking around. Perhaps because it was late, people had already decided to rest.

Opening the box, you looked at a strange meal.

"What the hell..."

Its contents were ugly. The meat was a strange purple color, and the mashed potatoes were green. You gagged at the sight, standing up and snatching the box from the table.

"Hey, this food is—" Just as you approached the counter, Wolsey shut the shatters closed.

You squeezed the box in response, gritting your teeth. Throwing it on the counter and just accepting your hunger, you walked off to your room.

Cursing under your breath, you noticed Deakin speaking to a Garde that was blocking the entrance to the dormitories.

"...That's all I know! I swear!"

They must have noticed you trying to navigate around them, causing the Garde stopped you in your tracks.

"Halt!"

Groaning, you turned around to face the two men.

"What?" You asked, still heated from hunger.

"I have a few questions for you." The Garde stepped closer to you, making Deakin stand beside you.

"Okay..." You said.

"There have been reports of food poisoning today. I need you to state your business before you came here. Details and all." The Garde looked at you with heavy eyes.

"I took a nap after I got here. I spent most of the day in the Pankration Ring afterwards." You placed your hands on your hips, still feeling the soreness of your abdomen.

"You? In the ring? I find that hard to believe." The Garde argued.

You snorted. "And just exactly what are you trying to say?"

"I'm saying there's no way a girl was fighting in the ring." The Garde took another step closer to you, making your fists ball. "So what were you really doing today?"

Biting your tongue, your muscles tensed as you raised your arm, preparing to punch him in his mouth.

"Hey. She's right."

A familiar voiced chimed down the hallway from the dormitories.

"Your Grace..." The Garde looked out past you, staring at the large man you had fought in the ring.

"I was actually her opponent. So I suggest you take her word." He stepped on the other side of you, staring the Garde down.

"Y-Yes... my apologies." The Garde slightly bowed, taking a step back from you.

Lowering your fist down to your side, you forced a laugh.

"Something funny?" The man looked down at you in a strange way.

Pushing out your laughter, you looked at the man. "Just the cute little sticker on your face."

Staggering, he felt his face and peeled the sticker from his skin. Balling it up in his fist, he turned his attention back to the Garde.

"The rooms are clear. There weren't any signs of drugs or substances."

Curiously, you raised a brow. "You searched my room?"

"Of course. I'd also suggest you clean up. Don't want ants running around in your sleep, do you?" The man smirked.

Scoffing, you shot back. "Don't tell me you're upset because I won our match, now."

"I'm sorry?" The Garde said, looking at the man. You could tell he tried to hide the various bandages on his body, but he couldn't hide the one on his jaw.

"I don't know what she's talking about. The match was called at a draw." He shot you a dirty look.

Giggling, you replied. "Sorry. Guess I didn't notice how you tried to hide your bruises."

He narrowed his gaze at you while you playfully smirked back.

"Uh..." Deakin started. "What about the meals we're supposed to eat from now on...?"

"Tch. I wouldn't even bother." You said. "I just came from there and mine looked like a unicorn threw up on it."

"Can you explain further?" The Garde asked.

"No, it's probably Sigewinne's doing." The man huffed. "Wolsey has been cleared. But he's one of the only people with access to the kitchen..."

"He looked scared when I got my food from him." You said. "Then when I went to tell him about it, he closed the shutters in my face."

"Hm..." The man put his hand to his chin. "Garde. Search through the kitchen again and go through his room."

"Understood." The Garde saluted and walked off.

"Your Grace..." Deakin started. "May I... uh... be excused?"

Looking at him, the man nodded. "Go."

And then there were two.

"Did you feel ashamed or something by your defeat?" The corners of your lips turned as you eyed the man.

"I would never feel ashamed. And I didn't lose." He repeated. "We can continue tomorrow."

"Nah, I don't wanna get in the way of whatever you're doing." You said.

"Scared?" He teased, making you bite the inside of your cheek.

"Not in the slightest, Your Grace." You mimicked a curtesy, which was sloppy. "Who are you to order people around and search our rooms?"

The man folded his arms across his chest tightly. "I'm the Duke. I have authority all throughout this place, including over you."

You scoffed. "What gives you the right? You look more like a criminal than some political figure to me."

"Because I am a criminal."

You were slightly surprised by his words, but you kept your composure. "Ah, my apologies, your highness."

"Your highness... has a nice ring to it. I may change my title to that." The man chuckled, his deep voice echoing off the metal walls.

His teasing made you sick to your stomach. "So what's your real name?"

"If I told you that, then you wouldn't call me your highness now, would you?" He smirked, loosening his folded arms.

"Whatever. I'll find it out myself." You argued.

"Good luck with that." He turned around and walked off, his cologne wafting off around you.

Snorting, you walked off as well. You entered your room, which you noticed had been tampered with.

"That motherfu—"

Your words were cut off by a strange brown box sitting on your bed.

"...?" Walking up to it and picking it up, you felt how light it was. Cautiously, you pulled the lid open.

"Well well well... this is interesting."