Chapter 29

❄️

You were lying on your bed, trying to fight off the drowsiness that Sigewinne's medicine caused. Although it was now late at night, you didn't want to sleep until you at least had some sort of clue about how you would find this escapee group.

According to Wriothesley, the only way to find out would be to meet someone who was already in the group.

But how would I do that? You thought to yourself. I can't just up and ask 'hey I want to escape too so let me join your group'...I wouldn't even be able to ask questions without making myself suspicious...

Groaning, you brought your blanket up over your body and accepted your exhaustion. You told yourself you would just worry about it in the morning, when you had the whole day to come up with a plan.

— Morning —

"Good morning. Welfare?"

You had woken up energized and feeling refreshed. Since you didn't eat yesterday, you found your way over to the cafeteria as soon as you got up.

"I'll save it for later. Here." You handed the chef some coupons you earned from your time in the Pankration Ring.

"Here you are. Enjoy." The chef waved off to you as you sat down at a table.

You opened the box, seeing the lucky meal sitting before you.

Smiling, you immediately dug into it, savoring every bite that you took. You were glad that you didn't choose to have your welfare meal, and honestly, you didn't even remember the last time you requested a welfare meal.

Drinking onto some orange juice, you noticed someone approaching you.

"Morning, fireball."

You looked up at Nizami, who seemed to be following a man that approached the counter.

"Morning. How's that jaw?" You teased, looking at the wound you had given him.

"Better than ever. How's that knee?" He said, making you roll your eyes.

"Still flexible." You replied.

The man that Nizami was guarding had walked over to the two of you.

"Oh, I know you." He smiled while placing his box in front of you. Nizami sat next to you, crossing his arms.

"You do?" You asked.

He nodded. "You often fight in the Pankration Ring. Your skills are amazing."

You smiled. "Thanks."

The three of you enjoyed a polite conversation while you ate. You learned that Nizami took on a commission to protect and guard the man, purely because he was afraid of the things that could happen to him in the Fortress. You teased Nizami for his actions, but he seemed to actually like the job, although he doesn't find it quite fitting because there is not a lot of action that occurs.

"Nizami, can I ask you something?" The man had walked off to clear his box and return it to the counter, so you took the opportunity to put your plan into action.

"What is it?"

"Do you know anyone who's planning an escape party?"

Nizami titled his head. "You trynna join?"

You laughed. "I wish. But I'm actually doing a job for the Duke. He wants me to get all the names of the escapee group and people involved."

Nizami thought to himself. "...I don't know anyone in particular, but from my days spent here, you can probably get some information out of the brothers."