Chapter 11

❄️

You stood at the entrance of the Pankration Ring, watching as the worker hesitantly wrote your name down on the bulletin board.

Wriothesley's coat hung over your body, the fur insulating your skin. You looked over to him as he removed his gloves, pulling his fingers in an attempt to pop them.

You looked over at the crowd that was gathered above the ring. It looked like everyone in the Fortress was eager to witness this match.

Plenty of bets were scattered on the board.

All of them on you.

You sighed at the sight. Pulling the coat deeper into your face, you smelled Wriothesley's cologne lingering in it.

"A word." Wriothesley watched as you pulled your lips away from his coat, looking back at him.

"About?" You asked.

"You don't want to fight me because I'm strong. What's your real intention?" He looked at you, his blue eyes settling into yours.

"Why so suspicious all of a sudden?" You teased.

"It's obvious you're going after my title as the Duke." Wriothesley smiled. "What should I call you now? Princess?"

"Ew." You gagged. "I'd rather choke to death."

"Then you must be after all the coupons that's placed on your head." Wriothesley pointed to the bulletin board, seeing that not a single coupon was under his name.

You rolled your eyes. "I'm not doing this for me."

His smile faded as he raised a brow at your response. "Then what is this for?"

You pulled the coat from your body, pushing it onto his chest.

"I'm doing it for you."

❄️

"Match... begin!"

You had finished a small warmup in the corner of the Pankration center. Now, you were settled on one side of the ring, a sense of Deja Vu coming over you.

Wriothesley brought up his fists, ready for your attacks.

You bit your cheek, feeling all too excited about fighting him once more.

Your bodies collided together with an impact, as he blocked your fist from hitting his jaw. Using your foot to spin around on your heel, you pushed him with your elbow.

He grabbed your neck in response, hitting the back of your hips to immobilize you.

You endured the pain, grabbing his wrist and punching his chest. He winced in pain, but continued to throw hands at your arms.

You watched as numerous hits were taken on your body. Gritting your teeth, you listened to the shouts and yelps across the ring.

"Get him!"

"You got this!"

"Kick his ass!"

Balling your fist, you punched his abdomen with a heavy force. He stumbled back, trying to recover from the blow.

You dashed towards him, not trying to give him time to realize you were going to hit his throat again.

He quickly used his arm to block your attack, feeling the force sprain his arm.

Writhing in pain, he tried to throw another hit at your stomach.

But you predicted his moves all too easily.

Wriothesley watched as you brought yourself closer to him, realizing he had an opening.

Wait. He thought. Can't she see that I'm going to hit her?

With this, Wriothesley averted his punch towards your thigh.

You yelped, feeling the force knock you back.

Fuck. You cursed to yourself. Can't he see what I'm doing?

Moving towards the corner of the ring, you grabbed his body and spun him around, making his back clash onto the pole. He coughed from the impact, throwing his head back as you lunged at him.

You punched his chest once more, but not as hard as the first time.

He grabbed your wrist in response, gripping it harshly. You winced in pain as it was still sore from its sprain, feeling him push you back to the center of the ring.

He pulled his fingers into the palm of his hand, attempting to punch your stomach this time with a great bit of force.

When you realized where he was going to hit you, you acted as if you were still trying to recover from the pain in your wrist.

Wriothesley hesitated as he watched you open your stomach for his punch.

When the distance between the two of you closed, he stared into your eyes.

You smiled, making him soften the grip of his fist.

He widened his eyes as the punch connected with your stomach, sending you flying back.

You laid there, coughing and out of bounds from the ring.

Wriothesley watched in shock as you didn't move back in bounds as time was called.

"Match over! The Duke has won!"

He stood there frozen in place, your body limp from his blow.

Holding back a smile, he felt the worker raise his fist into the air.

So that's what you were doing for me.