Chapter 30

❄️

"Bring him to me out of solitary confinement."

Wriothesley was shuffling through a stack of reports dropped off by a Garde. The thought of just having to sign off on them makes his head hurt. Then again, he preferred not having Chronie around to bother him.

"Understood." The Garde saluted and stepped out of his office.

Wriothesley turned his focus back to the reports. Although the protests have stopped, there have been a number of complaints about the recent leakage in the production zone.

Sighing, he pushed himself out of his chair and decided to make some tea. If anything, it was probably the only thing that would stop him from feeling frustrated.

He could only place his trust in you to fulfill your job.

He smiled to himself, thinking about yesterday's moment. Waiting for the water to boil, he heard a knock at his door.

"Come in."

The Garde swiftly stepped inside with an injured man in cuffs.

"Ah." Wriothesley poured the water in his cup and placed a tea bag inside. "Leave him in the chair over there."

The Garde did as he said and exited.

Wriothesley leaned on the wall, sipping on his hot tea while staring at the back of Deakin's head.

"...You gonna talk now?"

Deakin flinched, still shivering from being locked away in solitary confinement.

Wriothesley smirked, taking in his featful state.

Deakin mumbled. "Don't send me back..."

"Why?" He asked, taking a longer sip.

"It's... cold..." Deakin's hands shook in fear. "...I just... don't want to... die..."

"Tsk tsk tsk." Wriothesley walked back over to his seat, sitting down. "Should have thought of that before doing what you did."

He watched Deakin tremble in fear for another moment. Picking up a report, he waited for him to speak.

"...I did it because I feel... like the only way people can be free... is via death..."

Wriothesley laughed. "So you don't want to die, but you feel like others should?"

Deakin hesitated. "I just... I don't like being here..."

"Well, considering how you've murdered people, infiltrated the depths of my office, and also managed to persuade others into your plan... you're looking at a life sentence."

Deakin remained quiet. Wriothesley placed the report down and leaned back in his chair. "Garde."

The door opened and a Garde approached the two of them.

Wriothesley cleared his throat. "Send him to the private jail rooms. Bring in Chronie next."

The Garde nodded and picked Deakin out of his seat and walked out. Wriothesley sighed, wondering just how the Fortress came to be like this.

A moment later the Garde walked back in with a frantic Chronie.

She looked at Wriothesley with begging eyes as the Garde sat her down in the chair and walked off.

"Wriothesley! Please... just hear me out!" Despite being locked away in an icebox, she seemed to not be as hypothermic as Deakin.