Chapter 23

❄️

You stood nervously at Wriothesley's door.

Your hand held up to knock, but you struggled to let your knuckles collide on the metal.

You didn't know what to say to him when you were to walk in. You wanted to apologize, but you didn't want to leave it at just that either.

I need him.

Hesitantly, you knocked twice.

Wriothesley's voice sounded through the room.

"Come in."

Slowly, you took a deep breath as you opened the door.

You looked at the stairs, feeling like they were longer than before.

You walked up to his office, not seeing him in his chair.

"Y/N?"

Sigewinne looked at you with comforting eyes. You watched her lick what appeared to be a wrapper from a cupcake.

"Hi..." You started, your eyes immediately meeting with Wriothesley's.

He was laid back onto the couch, his arms on either side of him, resting on the back. His legs were spread open, and a cupcake wrapper laid on his lap.

You averted your gaze, looking down to the floor.

"...I forgot I have to go process something. Bye, Wriothesley." Sigewinne looked at him with some sort of warning. She skipped off, smiling at you as she left the office.

Your heart was racing while Wriothesley shifted over to the end of the couch. "Can I help you?"

His tone was different. It wasn't something you had heard before. You felt your stomach turn, missing his usual playful voice.

"...I'm sorry." You said.

"For?" He asked.

You linked your hands together in front of your body. "For calling you a horrible person."

"It's alright. Is that all?"

Your heart sank. "Yes..."

"Alright. You can leave."

Biting your lip, you stayed frozen in place, not taking your eyes off the floor.

You felt them starting to water.

"What?" Wriothesley's voice grew deeper.

Your hands started shaking. You forced a smile.

I need him.

"Nothing. Sorry."

You tried to turn around, but your feet laid in place.

No. Please don't remind me.

You remembered the sound of your mother's voice.

Stop.

You came to Fontaine for your mother.

Stop...

You came to Fontaine...

... to scatter her ashes in the ocean.

Your mother was such a caring soul. She loved flowers, and she loved you just as much. She constantly bickered you about getting hurt in the desert every time you were out causing trouble. Your dad would always praise you for defending yourself, while she scolded you. You remembered how she would always gift you a different flower whenever she came back to the desert to see you and your dad.

When news of your mother's death came about, your heart was shattered. You felt yourself telling your heart a constant lie, that she was still alive.

They say whenever you have a temper, it's because your brain is trying to tell you something your heart can't accept.

And you never accepted her death.

...

Wriothesley reminded you of your mother, in a way. You grew so fond of him, purely because she teased and scolded you for the things you did.

That's why you didn't want to let him go.

That's why you needed him so badly.

His voice, his touch, his laugh, his body.

You wanted it all to yourself.

And you ignored your heart, always listening to your head telling you that you couldn't have someone like him.

Because you were scared.

Scared of getting your heart shattered once again.

...

A cool hand wiped away the tears that fell on your cheek. You held your hands together tightly, your soft sniffles filling the silence in the room.

You shifted, keeping your gaze on the floor.

Wriothesley's hand pulled up your chin, forcing you to look into his eyes.

Only this time, you finally let yourself get lost in them.

His eyes were like the ocean— calm and tranquil. But like a flip of a switch, they can become violent and dangerous.

His thumb caressed your cheek.

"...Sigewinne told me everything."

You let out another cry, feeling him pull your body into his.

"...I'm sorry."

And just like that, you accepted your heartbreak and cried into his chest, feeling the warmth of his body never leaving you.