Chapter 12

❄️

You silently ate your welfare meal in the cafeteria, munching on some chips.

You were all too relieved as people avoided you. It was as if you didn't exist anymore after your rematch with Wriothesley.

Grabbing your fork and pushing it into the crab meat from your box, you enjoyed your meal while others continued to converse around you.

"Hey."

A man's voice spoke to the table across from you.

"Good match."

You nodded your head in response, watching him smile and return back to his group.

Even though people had dropped the rumors about you being the new Duke of the Fortress, it didn't stop the men from trying to get with you.

You felt at your collarbone, missing the fur of Wriothesley's coat that gave you warmth.

You strangely found yourself smelling his cologne.

Scoffing, you went back to your food.

Sigewinne had scolded you about your return in the Pankration Ring when she placed a new cast on your wrist. You took her words in, knowing that she was right.

But you couldn't stand another hour being hoarded by other prisoners who bombarded you with demands and questions.

"Enjoying the food?"

Wriothesley's voice played in your ear, and you looked up to see him swinging a pair of handcuffs around his finger. Smiling, you watched him take the seat in front of you.

"Enjoying your reputation?" You teased, biting into the crab meat.

"More than ever." He responded. "You didn't have to do that."

"Believe me, I did. I couldn't stand listening to any more of this 'I'm going to be the new Duke' nonsense." You said.

Wriothesley laughed. "I meant giving me my coat back. I was going to win that match regardless of how hard you tried."

You rolled your eyes, looking back at him. "It's your coat."

"And I know you're freezing here." He spun his coat around his body, pulling it around you. You felt your body jolt when his hand brushed over your shoulder as he fixed it over you.

Despite having him touch you in the ring, your cheeks heated when his cold touch came across your warm skin. This time was more gentle compared to having endured his punches.

Ew. You thought. Get over yourself, Y/N.

"So what brings you here? Don't tell me you're already bored of work and decided to have lunch with me, your highness." You smirked, watching him laugh in response.

"I actually just got done visiting someone from solitary confinement." He brought out the cuffs once more, playing with the chains.

You watched them move about his hands, thinking of lewd scenarios that caused you to bite your tongue. "Solitary confinement?"

Wriothesley pulled the cuffs apart, revealing the metallic shine in them. "It's just a little place I designed myself for those who disobey the rules of the Fortress."

"Didn't take you for an architect." You joked.

"It's quite fun when you're bored." He said, looking at you more softly. "Especially when I get the chance to use my vision."

You noticed the Cryo pendant hanging from his chest. It once sat on his coat, but now that he placed it over you, he had hooked it onto a chain emerging from his pocket.

"Don't tell me you made it out of ice." You said.

"Not exactly. The exterior is made from a cool metal that retains whatever temperature is inside. As for the interior, that's what I used my ice for." Wriothesley pushed his hand through the cuff, only letting three fingers pass through.

"So, in other words, whoever is locked away in there just freezes to death?" You tilted your head. "Some kind of masochist you are, Wriothesley."

"I do enjoy pain." He grinned. "But it won't kill them to stay there... as long as it's not over 48 hours."

"So who's the lucky person?" You asked.

"That can't be said aloud. My presence has attracted the ears of others, you know." Wriothesley smiled, hooking the cuffs back onto his hips.

You noticed that eyes were staring at you and him. Closing your lunch box, you bit your lip. "Then do you care to tell me in a more discreet place?"

Wriothesley looked at you intensely. "Are you, a prisoner, suggesting that I let you in on classified information?"

You realized he spoke aloud, causing the conversations of others to hush. Frozen in response, Wriothesley let out a hearty laugh.

"Fuck you." You cursed, snatching a glass of water from the table and gulping it down.

"Language, princess." He teased.

"Don't call me that." Your cheeks flushed, making you turn away from him.

"My apologies, prisoner." He continued.

You grit your teeth. "Not that either."

"I can't call you what you are?" Wriothesley rested his jaw on his hand, gazing at you.

"I have a name, you know." You boasted.

"Ah, I must have forgotten. What is your name, prisoner?"

You hated how he teased you. It seemed like his entire personality could flip like a switch.

But you strangely found yourself growing fond of his odd behavior.

Stop, Y/N. You fought back your thoughts. This insufferable person is nothing more than some sort of broken mechanism, like back home.

"That's for me to know, and for you to find out." You finally responded, trying to mock his tone when you had asked for his name.

"Guess I will, then." He stood up, not taking his eyes off of you.

The other prisoners had returned back to their normal conversations, seeing that Wriothesley was going to take his leave.

You looked away from him, but your gaze was soon averted when you felt his cold breath brush onto your ear.

"See you around, Y/N."