Chapter 13

❄️

The clock on your wall ticked with a soft sound every second. You laid on your bed, staring at the high ceiling. You clicked your tongue in response with the clock, trying to find sleep.

But your thoughts were too focused on Wriothesley.

His coat laid on your desk, the fur remaining still as the light gave off its gray color.

No matter how hard you tried, you couldn't erase the one scenario you had created in your head.

Wriothesley placed the cuffs on my wrists, binding my hands behind my back while he pushed me towards his desk. His voice whispered in my ear, following along with the scent of his cologne lingering on his neck into my nose. He would turn my body around, making me bend over the table, with his hips buckling on my—

A knock at the door caused your train of thought to fall off its course.

Getting up from the bed, you walked over to the door and opened it.

"Deakin?"

You looked at him, his eyes low with exhaustion. He scratched the back of his head, looking away from you.

"Sorry to bother you this late... but Miss Sigewinne asked me to bring you to the infirmary."

You noticed a bandage wrapped around his arm, making you full of curiosity. "Why?"

"I'm guessing she wants to check up on you." Deakin said quietly.

You liked how thoughtful Sigewinne was. Stepping out of your room and following Deakin to the infirmary, you noticed how he struggled to walk in a straight line.

"Are you alright?" You asked him, watching him almost trip over a crack in the floor.

"I just ate something bad..." He responded. "My stomach is just upset."

You wondered why Sigewinne had sent him to get you. It wasn't like her. If he could barely walk, she would be sure to keep him in the bed.

You remembered back to your first day in the Fortress, thinking of how he argued with the Gardes about you.

Does he... like me?

You know you typically get asked out here and there, but Deakin's behavior was persistent.

Blushing, you stepped inside the infirmary with him while he returned to his bed.

"Ah, Y/N! There you are!" Sigewinne skipped up to you, a gentle smile placed on her face.

"Hello." You smiled back, watching as she grabbed your hand.

"I'm going to remove your cast now. Hopefully, I won't have to do this again." She grabbed a pair of pliers while settling you down on the edge of the bed.

"Don't worry. I've taken a break from fighting." You said. Instead of earning coupons from the Pankration Ring, you just decided to work in the production zone. It wasn't ideal, but it was enough to at least buy you a meal from the cafeteria.

"That's good to hear. I hope you mean it!" She cut open your cast, examining your arm.

"Miss Sigewinne..."

A woman had stepped up to the two of you. You recognized her from your time in the infirmary— she was the girl who was questioned by Sigewinne and Wriothesley.

"Yes?" Sigewinne looked up at her while gently pushing down into your wrist.

"The hot water isn't working. Can I try my room instead?" The woman held a towel in her hands, her hair falling down past her shoulders.

"The hot water...?" Sigewinne looked at her with a questionable face. "If the hot water isn't working here, it certainly wouldn't work in your room."

"I-I don't mind taking a cold shower, I just thought I'd let you know..." The woman stammered.

"No, no. You could get hypothermia from trying to shower in cold water. Let me have a look. I'll be right back." Sigewinne patted your wrist, leaving you and the woman alone together.

"Oh, I know you..." The woman spoke to you.

"Everyone does." You joked.

"Yeah... You fight amazingly."

You were taken aback by her compliment. "Oh, it's nothing, really..."

"I'm serious. The way you challenged the Duke head on with so much confidence was... refreshing, in a way. I like people like you." She smiled, making you blush.

"Thank you... um... what's your name?"

"Avice." She said.

"Well, thank you, Avice." Her name rolled off your tongue with a foreign accent, making her giggle. "How did you end up here?"

You already knew why she was here, because you had listened to her tell Sigewinne her entire situation. But you wanted to converse more with her, since she was the first female to finally speak to you in the Fortress.

"Oh, I had ate something bad. Food poisoning has become common here, so a lot of us try to watch what we eat. The Duke has fired a lot of people and even locked them up here because something strange has been occurring." Avice explained.

"Something strange?" You asked.

"Yes. A lot of the Gardes and prisoners have been tampering with the food here. I don't know their reasoning, nor do I know how they're doing it." Avice sighed. "It gets scarier and scarier here everyday."

You felt her anguish, knowing that a lot of people could not be trusted in the Fortress.

Just as you were going to respond, a piercing scream sounded through the room.

You jerked, looking behind you at a man who was coughing and yelling his lungs out.

"What is going on in here?!" Sigewinne ran back into the room, rushing over to the man.

"My— My water!!! H-He... Help me—!"

Sigewinne jumped up to him, holding his head up.

"Hey, slow down! What ha—"

But the man let out another scream.

And you watched as his body dissolved into water.