Chapter 35

❄️

"...I see."

After calming down and getting a bit of rest, Sigewinne sat by your side while you explained what had happened with Wriothesley.

"I don't understand him..." You said, rubbing your wrist. "One moment he's happy and always teasing me, the next he's just cold and fearing..."

Sigewinne sighed. "Wriothesley is a... complex individual. I think that's how humans describe people like him..."

"What?" You looked down at her.

"Did he ever tell you why he was sent to the Fortress?"

You shook your head.

Sigewinne hummed. "He belonged to a family with a couple that took care of him and other children. He loved his parents, but when he found out how his siblings ended up if no one 'adopted' them... he murdered them."

You blinked. "He... killed his own parents?"

She shook her head. "It's not that simple. Yes, they were his parents, in a way, but they killed children if they weren't 'adopted' by a certain age."

You closed your eyes. "He really is batshit crazy..."

Sigewinne sighed, kicking her legs over the edge of the bed. "I asked him to talk to you. But I didn't think he would go about it that way..."

"I just... I can't." You started. "I can't suddenly leave everything behind to be with him... why doesn't he understand that..."

"I think he does." Sigewinne replied. "His mind knows that, but his heart denies it."

You forced a laugh. "Yeah, when shit doesn't go his way, he does this..."

Looking down at your bandaged wrist, you bit back your pain.

Sigewinne patted your back. "Wriothesley separates himself from his title. Others fear and obey him because he's the Duke, but only a few get to see who he really is."

You frowned. "So what I just saw was the real him."

She nodded. "In a way. That trauma he has had never been healed. It's an internal wound that even I can't fix."

"I... can understand that." You said softly.

"I know you probably think he's just a crazy sociopath, but really, he's just a heartbroken person who never has the time to heal his inner child."

You took a deep breath. "...I guess..."

Sigewinne placed her hands in her lap. "He told me how he thought of you. How he wants to be with you, how he doesn't want to let you go... he feels like you're the key to healing him. It's like an ill person to medicine. They cling to it to make them feel better and to one day recover."

"You're saying I'm his medicine?" You joked.

She nodded. "I can't make sense of human emotions a lot of times, but I've been around Wriothesley long enough to know how he feels and how to understand him. He's very stubborn, but on rare occasions, he'll open up to me."

You thought about your encounters with Wriothesley before. How he would always tease you, show up out of no where, and just give you his dominating affection. You grew fond of it, which only led to you realizing how you felt towards him.

"...I just wish he told me." You said. "I don't know anything about him. How can I commit to a relationship where the other person is always hiding secrets..."

"Like I told him, it's best if the two of you talk it out. I can't promise it'll have a good outcome, but at least there will be some closure." Sigewinne smiled at you.

You smiled back. "I suppose."

"Here, just get some rest." She handed you a glass of water.

"I think I'll go back to my room." You replied.

"Alright. Take some medicine."

She handed you a bottle of pills, which you took. You thanked her and exited the infirmary, still shook up from the whole situation.

You quietly made your way to your dorm, trying to erase your thoughts. If anything, you wanted to wait until Wriothesley explained himself.

Lying down on your bed, you took in a deep breath.

No matter how hard you tried to justify his actions, you still couldn't see yourself forgiving him. If being in a relationship with him meant you had to deal with his outbursts, you didn't want to put yourself through that. Although Sigewinne's words were comforting, you felt something as simple as a 'talk' wouldn't fix the problem at hand.

You opened the bottle and swallowed down a pill. Walking over to your desk, you sat it down on the corner.

However, just as you were going to head to your bathroom, a brown envelope caught your eye.

You picked it up, looking at the red emblem seal.

Gasping, you realized the emblem belonged to your father's troupe.

"Papa..." You smiled while ripping the envelope open.

Sounds like you're even causing trouble in Fontaine! The Fortress of Meropide, you say? One of my men is there. You remember Nazumi, don't you? I'm sure you'll see him. I'm glad that you've finally decided to visit your mother. Her dying wish was to always become one with the ocean. I missed the days when we would all gather around a campfire at night and sing songs while trying to keep you from eating all the food! I wish I could be there with you, but you know how business is.

You met a boy? I don't need you coming home with babies, now. Although me being a grandfather does have a nice ring to it. You know how that old saying goes, 'history repeats itself'? I was curious of the outside world, and ended up going to Fontaine. That's where I met your mother, and after just a couple of months, she was pregnant with you. Now look at you, my little girl repeating my actions.

I never want you to feel like you belong in the desert. Yes, this is your home, as it always will be, but Y/N, travel the world. Go see things no one else has. Learn about your mother's home. Explore, become an adventurer, take on battles, and be the greatest person— no, the first person from the desert to proudly say that you are a warrior.

Maybe take that boy along with you. Sounds like you really like him. I'll have to meet and approve of him first, though, haha!

On a serious note, though, live your life to the fullest. Wherever you are and whatever you are doing, be proud of who you are and take pride in your blood. Your mother would have loved that for you.

P.S. The troupe says hello!

P.P.S. Send my greetings to Nazumi!

You folded the letter and smiled to yourself. Your father sure had a way with words, especially when it came to personal topics.

You thought about his statement of not clinging to the desert. You always felt that you had to be there, and that it was your fate to stay there.

But his words gave you the closure you needed.

Learn about your mother's home.

With that, the thought of what had happened came back into your mind.

Staying in Fontaine, where your mother was born and raised...

...with Wriothesley.