Chapter 20

❄️

You slowly drank some water mixed with medicine that Sigewinne had prepared for you. Now that you were no longer in the surgery room, you felt more relaxed and comfortable.

"Better?" Sigewinne asked you.

"Yeah. Why are all the beds empty now?" You took another look around the room. From it once being full of sick patients, it was now empty.

"Um..." Sigewinne frowned. She looked sad, which was a new expression you had seen from her. "...They all dissolved."

You choked on your water. Sigewinne patted your back. "What?!"

She let out a soft sigh. "I thought they were getting better, after the medicine I made them was helping. But after you were brought here, there was nothing but puddles of water left in their beds."

"Oh my..." You started. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have brought it up."

"No, it's alright. I was really upset to see that I couldn't save them, but I was glad to see I at least helped you." She put her hand over yours, a sad smile forming on her. You grabbed her tiny hand in response, knowing the pain she felt.

A few footsteps could be heard at the entrance to the infirmary.

"..."

Wriothesley stepped in, holding his cuffs in his hands.

"Oh, what do we have here? A special visit by the Duke himself?" You laughed weakly. "I must actually be dead."

"Don't say that!" Sigewinne said.

"I kid, I kid..." You found Wriothesley's eyes looking at you as he walked to the opposite side of your bed.

"...How are you feeling?" He didn't laugh at your joke, which caused your smile to fade.

"I'm fine..." You said, taking your eyes from his.

"Good."

A moment of silence filled the room. You didn't like the tense atmosphere, so you decided to speak up.

"So... Um, what's going on?"

Sigewinne looked at Wriothesley, who was still gazing at you.

"...Murders." He responded.

"No shit. Did you catch them?" You said.

"Yes and no."

"Details?"

"They're in questioning."

"Who?"

"Prisoners."

"Where are they?"

"Here."

"Where is here?"

"The Fortress."

You realized what he was doing, mocking the time you gave him short answers when he interrogated you. You scoffed, punching his arm in response.

That laugh you were familiar with filled the silence in the room, making you bite back a smile.

"You're such an asshole." You stated, sipping away at your drink.

"Language, princess."

You turned your nose up, but this time you couldn't help the smile creeping onto your lips. Wriothesley noticed, smirking down at your expression.

"Oh, has the name finally grown on you?"

Rolling your eyes, you stuck your tongue out at him. "As if."