Chapter 45

❄️

Wriothesley exited his office with Sigewinne, sipping on the milkshake that you apparently had already drank half of. It was surprisingly good— although, he would prefer it to be colder than what it was.

Looking down at Sigewinne, she waved at him and skipped off. Wriothesley removed the straw from his mouth, licking the excess cream on his lips. He looked down at the container, as if he was trying to read what ingredients were inside.

Walking forward, he tried to avoid eye contact with others. Prisoners and Gardes shivered at the sight of him, making him feel like he was some sort of rabid beast that needed to be locked up inside a cage.

Actually... that's exactly what he was. An unhinged individual who was indeed locked away inside of a cage. It's just that his cage had other unhinged individuals, and he was the pack leader.

"...E-Evening, Your Grace...!"

Wriothesley had mindlessly made his way to the front desk of the Fortress, not bothering to give any attention towards his surroundings. Once he finally came to a halt, he looked down at the woman who was in charge of the desk.

"Evening." He replied, holding the milkshake in his hand. "Has Y/N already left?"

She shook her head. "She's over there, reading through her papers..." The woman pointed over to a corner. "Ah, if you don't mind—"

Wriothesley caught a glimpse of your back, making his heart jump. He immediately walked towards you, not minding to listen to what the woman had to say to him.

He made sure his steps were quiet as he approached you. He could hear you sifting back and forth between a thin packet on your lap. Your legs were crossed, one of them bouncing up and down as a weird mumbling sound came from you. You wore his coat on your shoulders, your heels matching the color of it.

Wriothesley smiled as he loomed over you. He wondered what was going on inside your head as you flipped back to the front of the packet.

Leaning down, he gently kissed the temple of your head.

You flinched in response, whipping your head around to look up. You immediately relaxed when you saw his soft blue eyes looking into yours.

"...Don't do that." You laughed, punching his arm.

He smiled. "What, kiss you?"

"Scare me." You replied. "Were you just standing there?"

He nodded. "You were so deep into reading that you didn't notice my shadow?"

"...I'm just making sure that no one is trying to con me." You said.

"Con?" Wriothesley tilted his head. "I can tell you everything that that packet says in four words."

You raised your brow. "Oh? Try me."

He chuckled, kissing your cheek. "...Don't break the law."

"...Technically, that's five words." You stuck your tongue out. "If you're counting 'Don't" as 'Do Not'."

"Trying to play smart with me, princess?"

You grinned. "I don't know, your highness. Maybe I am."

His finger brushed over the bite mark on your neck. "Don't think I won't try you, right here and now."

"You wouldn't." You teased.

"Is that a challenge?" He asked, smirking.

"It's your fault my back hurts, and you said that you would go easy on me." You mocked. "Haven't I fulfilled your pride enough?"

He laughed. "I did go easy on you."

You huffed. "You did not!"

"You wouldn't know." He replied.

"After you broke your headboard? I think I know plenty." You said, crossing your arms.

"If I didn't go easy on you, you probably would've passed out. That's not really enjoyable." He teased.

"You're such a pain." You groaned.

"I love being one."

"Um... sorry to interrupt.."

A feminine voice startled you, making you turn your head around. You looked at the woman from the front desk who shyly avoided making eye contact with Wriothesley.

"...I need your papers." She quickly said.

"Oh..." You looked down at the packet, not wanting to give it to her.

Wriothesley picked it up from your lap, handing it to the woman.

"Hey—!"

"Here."

She took the papers from him. "Ah, thanks. Um, please don't break the law. We wish to never see you again..." She looked at you, did some sort of weird salute, and walked off.

You quickly averted your gaze back to Wriothesley. "I wasn't done reading."

"I told you all you needed to know." He said. "And you've read that thing probably a dozen times, now. Any reason for that?"

You rolled your eyes. "I told you. I'm not trying to get conned."

"You're such a bad liar." He said. "Tell me the truth."

"I did!" You protested.

He hummed, leaning down to make the eye contact you shared more intense. You swallowed, trying to challenge his gaze.

But you looked away for a split second— barely one that could even be noticed by the 'normal' human eye.

Wriothsley smiled. "...Wanna try again?"

You closed your eyes, turning away from him.

"...I just don't want to leave yet..."

He could feel your sadness. "...Why? Don't tell me you've finally gotten used to being a prisoner."

"You know why." You said softly.

"I'd rather hear you say it." He teased.

You groaned. "...Because I'll miss you."

That small phrase was what he dreaded. Some part of him was hoping that you would change your mind, or do something that would get you exiled all over again so you and him could relive your moments together.

But it would take a miracle to change that hard head of yours.

Wriothsley sat down next to you, trying his best to not break down.

With a heavy heart, he brought you into him, rubbing his hand over your back and resting his head onto yours.

"I'm going to miss you more, Y/N."