Chapter 40

❄️

Some people in the world have no regards for human life. Others, however, value human life and take on a role to study them. Meanwhile, there are a few who don't possess the qualities of human emotion or feeling, despite themselves being born of human blood.

Wriothesley never knew why his parents did what they did. They raised children their whole lives, clothing and feeding them, making sure they were well loved and appreciated, all while placing on this perfect facade that they were the ideal family.

He felt nothing when he murdered them. Panic, regret, guilt, fear... it was as if he was immune to those feelings.

Perhaps that is why he placed on his own facade. That he is a perfect human, who can feel and understand, all while maintaining order of those around him.

They say you always turn out like your parents.

And when Wriothesley had killed them, he absolutely hated himself.

Hate.

That is what he felt.

Hate for his parents, hate for society, and hate for his own being.

People call him the Duke of the Fortress of Meropide. The Warden. The absolute authority of those who have been punished and sent into the underworld where he ruled.

But you?

You called him Wriothesley.

You disregarded his title, his status, and his role.

That's why he fell for you.

You saw through him. You got him down to that vulnerable state he had hidden under his own reputation, causing him to finally unleash all that pain and suffering he hid within.

He manipulated his own self into thinking he was okay. That he had moved on, served his time, and had entered a new life.

But truly...

...He just wanted love.

Genuine love.

Someone who would give him what he always wanted.

His slowburn obsession over you stemmed from all of that hurt he kept within his heart. He felt that if you left him, then he would truly be alone and never to be loved.

When he bought the engagement ring, the only thought on his mind was spending the rest of his days with you, finally experiencing what true happiness can be.

Maybe start a family. That way, he could give his children the love he always wished for.

He thought it was absurd. That you would all of a sudden agree to his proposal and just go from there. He knew you would reject him— yet, at the same time, his true self was constantly battling with his mind.

His hopes, dreams, and desires; he wanted to share them with you.

And every time he saw you...

...He had to hide his true feelings, because in reality, he wasn't even ready to face himself.

...

"SIGEWINNE!!!"

Wriothesley had run a marathon from the depths of solitary confinement, all the way to the infirmary. He refused to let you go, refused to part from you, and refused to give up on you.

Sigewinne turned around, looking at Wriothesley frantically as he leapt off the stairs and dashed towards an empty bed.

"Y/N?! What happened?!"

"Please, help her! She's barely breathing!" Wriothesley's hand was cupped over yours as the ice on your body slowly started melting away.

"My—!" Sigewinne quickly ran over to her medicine cabinet, grabbing bottles and liquids.

Wriothesley panted, pushing the cover over your body as your chest rose and fell ever so slowly.

"W-Wriothesley! Grab me the medical kit off my desk and bring bandages!"

Wriothesley froze, looking at her with wide eyes. He held onto your hand, not wanting to leave you.

"Wriothesley, please!" Sigewinne struggled to pour the medicine into a container as she mixed the liquid within it.

Wriothesley took another look at you as he released his grip and sprinted over to the desk. He quickly grabbed the materials, rushing back over to you and sprawling them out on the bed.

He grabbed your hand again, staring at your closed eyes.

Sigewinne's hands moved smoothly as she pulled the blanket off your side and examined your injury. She opened the medical kit and pulled out tweezers and a scalpel, not hesitating to quickly remove the bullet lunged into your bone.

Wriothesley watched as she worked fast. He kissed your hand all the while, making sure that you were still breathing.

Sigewinne stitched your wound up, wrapping a bandage around it. She then moved back to the medicine, pouring yet another liquid inside and moving towards your head.

She put the vial to your lips, slowly dripping it into your mouth. She did it patiently, waiting every second to make sure that you swallowed it.

Wriothesley kissed your hand again, crying. "You're okay... you're o-okay..."

Sigewinne then moved to examine your body for any further injuries. You had plenty of bruises, followed along by rashes and irritation caused from the ice.

She patched you up quickly. Wriothesley never let your hand go as Sigewinne finished her work.

"...Okay. She's getting warmer." She placed a hand to your forehead, her stethoscope moving around your chest.

"She... She's going to be okay... right?" Wriothesley looked at her with worried eyes.

Sigewinne nodded. "Yes. She'll have a severe fever when she wakes up, but that's just the human body's reaction to hypothermia. It'll burn it out."

Wriothesley sighed, sniffling while putting your hand to his forehead. "Fuck..."

Sigewinne looked at him with sad eyes. She gently caressed his back as he continued to cry.

"I fucked up... I fucked up..." He sobbed, his hands trembling.

"Hey..." Sigewinne's voice was ever so calming as she spoke. "...She's okay. You saved her."

"I know... I know..." Wriothesley's voice cracked. "...She was there... for three days... she wasn't breathing and I... I didn't know what to d-do..."

"It's okay." Sigewinne reassured. "You're both together. Just try to focus on that."

Wriothesley nodded and continued to break down, while Sigewinne comforted him.

"I... I..."

"Shh. It's alright."

"I... I love... her..."