Chapter 3

Forgotten Juliet
Chapter 3

The Duke’s carriage, in which Juliet rode, soon arrived at the capital’s Great Temple.

It was early morning, but rows of colorful carriages were already lined up in front of the temple. Today was the last day of this year. It was also the day when the temple made the most money.

Juliet purposely got off a little further away.

“I’ll be back soon.”

Few people recognized Juliet, walking alone without a maid. Thanks to this, she could freely visit the temple.

If you make a paper with a wish and a donatiom, the temple lights a candle in the name of the family. The larger the amount of the donation, the bigger and more colorful the candle.

It was a shallow trick, thanks to which the aristocrats in need of luck opened their wallets.

As if many people had already made wishes for the New Year, quite a lot of candles were placed around the altar.

Thanks to this, the white marble statue of the goddess under the vaulted ceiling appeared to be covered with a halo.

It wasn’t until Juliet pulled out the purse with the gold coins in it that she realized that she hadn’t really thought of a wish.

‘What kind of wish should I make?’

Juliet was looking up at the statue of the goddess in a daze when she heard whispers from behind.

“Right?”

“Is that girl?”

“Duke Carlyle’s…?.

She didn’t even need to look around to understand who they were talking about, she could feel their penetrating gazes on her..

Lennox Carlyle was utterly indifferent to society, but the nobles of the Empire were interested in him.

An unmarried young duke.

Wealthy and powerful ruler.

It is only once a year that the Duke of the North appears in the capital.

It was only for the New Year’s Eve banquet at the Royal Palace.

He always showed up at banquets with a beautiful partner, but a different one every year. Although his relationship with them never lasted more than three months, these women were known as ‘Carlyle’s mistresses’.

His short-term lovers received a lot of attention from people.

Duke Carlyle’s taste and nonchalant attitude also played a part in this. The Duke’s lovers were all beautiful, but surprisingly had low status.

Although dazzlingly beautiful, the Duke’s lovers, low in status and somewhat uneducated, were the perfect prey for the nobles.

People were busy laughing at the appearance of the Duke’s new lover, how vulgar his tastes were, and how naive the girl was.

However, the most popular gossip topic was something else.

Everyone wondered what happened to them after their relationship with the Duke ended?

“But, isn’t that Miss Monad?”

Just as expected.

As soon as Juliet handed the young priest a gold coin and asked to light a candle, a crowd gathered around her and greeted her.