Chapter 98

Forgotten Juliet - Chapter 98

“Let me down.”

He desperately tried to find some emotion in Juliet’s expression, but he found nothing.

As the silence stretched, others walking a short distance away with torches also stopped.

“…Alright. Let’s go back.”

In the end, he was the first to relent.

He didn’t let Juliet down, but he gave up on his plan to take her to the North.

Only after he turned his gaze towards the distant lights of the palace did Juliet lean on him.

“Your Highness, why are you here?”

‘Asking so soon,’ Lennox thought to himself.

“Who would lose their horse…”

Lennox glanced at the butterflies emitting a faint glow.

“All thanks to you wandering fearlessly.”

“It seems you got my letter.”

Juliet’s voice was calm.

But contrary to her composed response, he felt choked up.

Lennox gripped the reins tighter with his other hand. He could feel the regular motion every time Juliet, leaning on his head, breathed.

Yet, she seemed somewhat absent.

The relief he felt when he checked the Soulstone was truly momentary.

[The butterflies are gone.]

After checking the short note, he left the North.

He opened the gate and, after confirming Juliet’s whereabouts, managed to arrive just in time.

By just in time, he had only found Juliet, who had fainted deep in the hunting grounds, but next to her was dazed Lycanthrope and fluttering butterflies.

“Your eyes?”

“Who’s worrying about whom now?”

“Are you better?”

“…No.”

As he answered, Lennox tightened his grip on the hand that wrapped around her waist. Juliet briefly looked suspicious, but he protested his innocence.

The physician had said that, although the recovery rate was faster than expected, pushing too hard might result in permanent blindness.

Apart from a woman who keeps crying in his bothersome dream.

“…I’m getting better.”

“That’s good.”

Juliet exhaled a small sigh, her face looking as if she’d shed some weight.

Because of her reaction, Lennox felt even more ambiguous.

He didn’t want her pity or her taking care of him out of sympathy.

But was it just guilt she felt?

Moreover, Juliet didn’t seem too surprised to see him. She’s always been calm, but this seemed different.

Lennox was concerned about the expression that flashed across Juliet’s face the moment she opened her eyes.

It looked like she was scared and about to cry.

Yet now, her attitude seemed indifferent, and this made him anxious.

His throat felt tight.

Despite the late hour, torches lit up everywhere, making the palace look like daylight. People were outside the buildings.