Chapter 25

Forgotten Juliet - Chapter 25

The craftsmanship of the man who created the figurine of a dove with half-spread wings made of pure silver, in truth, could be called remarkably exquisite.

Among the domains of the Duke in the North, there were small islands, including rocky islets, which were not easily accessible by boat and were not very productive for fishing.

The nickname of those islands was ‘Carlyle’s Silver Cup’.

Contrary to appearances, the amount of silver deposits in the mines there was considerable.

However, compared to other mines owned by the Duke in the rugged territories of the North, the silver mine of Carlyle Island was modest.

That’s why it was given a cute name like ‘Silver Cup’.

Although everyone knew that the island had a substantial amount of silver, the Duke had never given a direct order to mine it for nearly 20 years.

PlayvolumeAd
Frankly speaking,  this was due to the traditional ownership of these islands, owned by the mistress of the northern lands.

It was like the Duchess’ personal property, an emergency fund, and such.

But since for the past two decades, the place next to Duke Carlyle has been empty, no one has actually worked on the mines.

Juliet became aware of the existence of the silver mine when she had been staying in the Duke’s northern castle for about three years.

* * *

“Greetings, madam!”

An old man dressed in clothes that seemed to have passed out of fashion about a hundred years ago came to the castle.

As soon as the old man saw Juliet, he made a formal bow.

Elliot rushed over to explain to the bewildered Juliet.

The old man was the chief of the island, and every ten years, when he came to the Duke’s castle to report on the fiscal settlement, he insisted that he couldn’t leave until he greeted and paid his respects to the lady of the Duchy, who was the owner of the island.

“Just receive him casually. After all, His Highness won’t even ask about it.”

Elliot whispered quietly.

“During the last visit, Lady Merrill, the housekeeper, received the greeting instead, so… Hurry up! Otherwise, that nobleman won’t leave. Surely, you don’t intend to turn today’s elderly visitors into guests?”

It was the first and last time Juliet tried to stop Elliot.

Juliet nodded in agreement, and the old man smiled brightly as he firmly grabbed Juliet’s hand.

“This is our heartfelt gift to the lady.”

As he said that, carriages filled with various carved crafts began to line up behind the old man.

Startled, Juliet tried to persuade the old man and concluded the situation by accepting the smallest pair of graceful doves decorations placed at the top of the first carriage.

“I like this! So… this is enough.”

The old man had a slightly disappointed expression, but he nodded with satisfaction when he saw the pigeon Juliet chose.

“Indeed, the lady has exceptional taste! Doves are a symbol of peace. With such an excellent mistress, the household must be peaceful… Seeing you, I feel like I can retire from the world without any regrets.”