Chapter 27

Forgotten Juliet - Chapter 27

Count Monad’s mansion, like many old mansions, was located on the outskirts of the quiet capital’s urban area.

Nestled in the dense foliage, the Monad mansion appeared closer to a secluded suburban estate.

The exterior of the mansion, with its white roof glistening in the sunlight, could be described as elegant or, to be frank, dilapidated.

Visitors to the old and worn-out mansion were extremely rare.

Seven years ago, after a tragic incident befell the owner’s family, the footsteps of visitors who used to seek out the already quiet family abruptly ceased.

It wasn’t that they lacked compassion, but after the young mistress of the house left for the north, truly no one was left behind, except for a few old servants.

So when the servants of the Monad estate, who hadn’t encountered many visitors in years, received an unexpected high-profile guest, they were taken aback.

“…May I ask who you are?”

The man mentioned the name of a noble that any imperial citizen would be familiar with.

For some reason, despite his shabby and drenched appearance, he didn’t need to prove his status with flamboyant attire. His red eyes were evidence enough.

The bewildered servants finally realized that he was the rumored lover of the absent young mistress and hurriedly opened the door for him.

“This way, please.”

The servants of the mansion, who had been without the owner’s family for seven years, had long forgotten the proper etiquette for receiving esteemed guests.

One of the servants, who took the reins of the black steed the man rode, was flustered and didn’t know what to do.

Duke Carlyle, who handed over the reins, glanced at the overgrown garden before entering the mansion.

The once lively garden where the family’s only daughter used to play hide-and-seek was now desolate.

The maze-like garden was overgrown, and the fountain had dried up.

“Is there no gardener?”

“Well, we are understaffed, so…”

The old butler reflexively made an excuse and immediately regretted it.

Responding to a distinguished guest in such a manner was a severe breach of etiquette.

Even the person he was facing was none other than the notorious ruler of the North. It was a nerve-racking encounter.

The butler hesitated, wondering if he should lower his head now, but the young Duke passed by him and walked alone toward the main building.

The old butler hurriedly followed him behind.

Strictly speaking, Duke Carlyle was a guest, so it was against etiquette for him to enter the mansion without permission.

Even if he was a noble and the lover of the mistress, it didn’t make it any less improper.

However, there was no one in the Monad mansion who could fulfill the role of the master…

‘…Even if there isn’t anyone, it still goes against etiquette, doesn’t it?’

The butler conflicted, but it was ultimately an unnecessary worry.

There was no one in the Empire who could dare to criticize Duke Lennox Carlyle for violating etiquette.