Caught?/Family Reunion Pt.4

This part continues when Noah and Nova are headed to sleep at Ms. Romanoff's house.

Natasha

It never really surprises me when the twins show up at my house. It always shocks me that Nova's willing to trust me. On the first day of school, Nova threatened to kill me for placing my hand on her shoulder, and now, for her to be comfortable sleeping at my house. She's progressed a lot since the first day. Noah, on the other hand, is the same. He's still the same athletic, witty, stubborn teenage boy I know.  

And now, as I checked up on them in the middle of the night, they looked so much younger and childish. They were in separate beds (2 hours ago) when I checked on them, and now they're cuddled up together, legs intertwined, and bodies as close as possible. I watch them for quite a bit until Nova stirs. 

"Ms. Roman- Ms. Romanoff? What are you doing?" She questions, entwining herself from Noah, earning a groan. 

"I was checking on you guys to see if you were okay, but I think I know my answer," I smirk, giving her a wink, and she blushed very faintly in response. 

"Please don't tell anyone?" She asks, making me nod in reply.

"My lips are sealed," I say, pretending to zip my mouth shut with my fingers.

She chuckles a little until the doorbell rings downstairs repeatedly. I groan but walk down the endless flight of stairs and over to the front door. Nova is following me for some reason. I make my way over to the door, opening it when I am near. I hear Nova gasp beside me, and the next thing I know, the people are trying to kidnap Nova. I move fast enough, grabbing Nova and moving her behind me. 

"You dumb brat!!" The man screams at her. The wife drags him away while he yells the whole time. I sigh in relief but grunt when a body collides with mine. I look down to see Nova's teary face staring up at me. 

I hold Nova close to me while she cries for 10 minutes. Eventually, she pulls away, wipes her tears away, looks up at me, and then runs away. I call her, but she's already up the endless stairs. I sigh but start to climb the stairs, running after her. I find Noah and her crying on the floor, cuddling up together. I make my way over to the bed, letting us sit in silence before I speak up.

"I have to tell CPS," I tell them, getting two nods in return.

"Why can't you pretend you're related to us?" Noah questions

"Your parents would rat me out," I say, sitting on the floor by the twins. I'm knocked down instantly by both twins crying. 

"Would we have to go to a foster home?" Nova asks, looking up at me. I nod in return.

"I've already gotten approved by CPS," I tell them, standing up, the twins following suite. 

"If your parents were guilty, you would be in a foster home for up to a month, but two weeks at the least," I tell them, heading downstairs and to the kitchen. I'm hoping that my milkshake would cheer them up.

"Are you gonna do it tonight?" Noah asks, getting out the milk, figuring I was making my milkshake. 

"Do you guys want me to?" I question, taking the milk from Noah and pouring it into a cup. 

They both nod their heads, getting a cup from the cupboard. I take out my phone and dial the number. It rings three times before someone picks up.

"Hello?" The person tiredly ask

"Hi, it's Natasha Romanoff. Paxton and Peter's-" I'm cut off by the voice

"Yeah, Paxton and Peter Romanoff's mom. What's up?" She questions. 

"I got two kids, Noah Scott Simon and Novanna Scarlett Simon," I tell the person watching Nova chase Noah across the room. 

"Yes, what about them?" She questions

"They're being abused by their parents. Earlier tonight, their parents came and tried to take them back," I tell her, putting the phone on speakerphone. 

They run past me again, and I reach out and snag them into my chest. They pout, fighting to get out of my hold. I squeeze their sides again, and they both squeal. That surprised me because I hadn't known Nova was ticklish. I tickled their side again, and they stopped fighting against me. We eventually got off the phone. She had told me they would only have to stay at a foster home for a week at the most. Since I had such a good track record, they would check my house first. And then check the Simon's house. I was feeling pretty confident about the house check. Noah and Nova were also, as they were dancing and singing in the kitchen.

"You guys know what this means?" I ask sadly, both their moods matching my mood in seconds.

"Tomorrow at school's our last day together," I remind them, being pulled into a group hug.

"Did you ever leave Paxton and Peter at home alone?" Noah questioned me, but I couldn't speak.

"Of course she didn't, No-No," Nova said, answering for me.

"You think she'd trust them?" Nova questions, and I snort while Noah glares at her.

"Well, I did once," I tell them, both eyes on me now.

"Let me call Paxton, and he'll explain the story," I tell them, pulling out my phone and dialing the number. It picks up after a few minutes, and he tiredly answers the phone.

"Hi, who is it?" He mumbles out

"It's Mama," I say, smiling, knowing he was more awake than before.

"What do you need?" He questions

"Noah and Nova here," I say, gesturing to the twins, who say hi to him in response.

"Want to know when I let Peter and you alone for a week," I get out. He stutters, confused by the question.

"Why do they want to know that?" He questions, panic easily seen in his voice.

"I'm leaving them alone for a week," I say, trying not to say too much about the situation but also say enough.

"Which one?" He questions.

"What do you mean?" I question

"You've left us alone, like three times before," He reminds me.

"The first time I ever left you alone," I say.

"It was April 17th, 2017, at 9 in the morning," He starts to say.

"Hey Romanoff, we know you're in here," A boy calls out.

"I gotta go, talk to you later," He whispers, hanging up the phone.

"Well, you two should get some rest," I say, but no one answers. I turned my head in their direction, and they were both slumped, head down on the counter.

I chuckle to myself, lifting both up and heading to my room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: This part was short since I had no motivation. The next part might be out tomorrow, maybe not. The next part will be Paxton explaining when he was home alone. After that, we won't see Noah and Nova again for 2-3 chapters. Proofread by Grammarly cuz we love Grammarly.

Word Count: 1172