Always gone

(January 18th, 2017)

Paxton

"You can't do this!!" I shout, watching as Mom packs her suitcase.

"Pax, I'm just leaving. It's not the end of the world," Mom says, zipping up her suitcase and walking out the door.

"You don't understand," I whine, following her downstairs.

"Then help me understand," She says, placing the suitcases in the car.

"You're always gone on missions!!" I complain.

"It's my job, baby," She says, ruffling my hair.

"Yeah, well, your job sucks," I mumble while Mom chuckles and ruffles my hair again.

"You and Lila seem to be getting along," Mom says, changing the subject.

"Don't change the subject," I warn.

"Where's Peter?" She questions, shrugging when she sees my face.

"It's one of my traits, baby," She says.

"He, Cooper, and Uncle Clinton went fishing or something," I mumble.

"I'll get you a treat when I come back, OK, baby?" Mom questions, ruffling my hair.

"Whatever," I mumble.

"Don't be grouchy for Aunt Laura, alright?" She questions, and I nod.

"Two days," She whispers before heading out the door.

"Two days, my ass," I whispered, earning a slap from behind.

"Watch your language," Laura says, and I quickly nod.

"Lila's outside. Go play with her," She says, noticing my boredom.

I sigh but head outside and see Lila practicing with a bow. A smile creeps on my face, and I rush to her, picking up another bow. Lila kept staring at me, but I ignored it as we shot arrows for 5 minutes. It was safe to say Lila was crushing me, hitting more bullseye than me.

"Why do you think our parents are always on a mission?" I question missing the bullseye.

"Your footing's wrong," Lila comments, putting the bow down.

I glance at her in confusion before looking at my feet. My footing was wrong. Lila, behind me, changes my footing before lining up the bow with the target. I pulled the string back and then released and watched as the arrow flew, hitting the bullseye. She smiles at me, going back to hitting the target. 

"Do you think Fury's pushing them too hard?" I questioned, releasing another arrow.

"My dad said that S.H.I.E.L.D's not like that, and they would never push anyone too far," Lila states, putting her bow down.

"Although, those two have been on more missions these past two years," Lila comments.

"Let's go ask my Mom," Lila says, running toward the back door.

I followed her, and we bumped into Laura, who was opening the door.

"Dinner's ready," She tells us, heading to the kitchen.