Aunt Laura's secret

A week later (April 9th, 2017)

Laura

"Natasha!! Peter!! Lunch!!" I scream heading back inside. 

"You sure you're okay babysitting all the kids?" Clint asked, and I nodded.

"Go on the mission. I've been babysitting kids for a decade," I reassure.

"You sure you're okay taking over Paxton's training?" Tasha asks from behind.

"Guys. I got this," I reassure both.

"You've been having a lot more back pain recently. Are you sure?" Clint double asks.

"Sweetie, I'm positive," I say, taking his hand in mine.

He sighs but sits down at the table. Since Tasha and Clint are leaving tonight, I made everyone's favorite. It was only so the kids didn't whine or something.

"Wait. Why'd you make our favorite?" Paxton asks, noticing the borscht on the table.

"Clint and Tasha are leaving tonight," I admit.

"Leaving where?" Cooper asks, filling his plate with mashed potatoes.

"We have to infiltrate a base," Clint answers.

"So, who's going to train me?" Paxton asks.

"I am," I say, getting confused looks.

"No offense, Aunt Laura, but I don't think you can fight," Paxton tells me.

I chuckle.

"Sweetie, there's a lot of stuff you don't know about me," I tell him.

"So you can fight?" He asks, and I nod.

"Why aren't you a shield agent then?" He asks, and I choke.

"Sorry, you don't have to tell me," He says, noticing my reaction. 

"No, it's alright. It's time I tell you, kids," I say.

"When I was younger, I was a shield agent. I was on a mission with Bobbi, and rebar went through me," I said.

"What's rebar?" Nathaniel and Paxton ask.

"Steel reinforcement," I said.

"Did you get the rebar out of you?" Cooper asks.

"Yep, but now I have back problems because of it. So, I'm not allowed back in the field," I said. 

"Are you sad?" Nathaniel asks.

"That I can't be in the field a little, but I get to spend more time with you guys," I said.

"Is that why Uncle Clint and you were down here?" Paxton asks, and I nod.

"The nurses said I had to stretch my back out because there's still some rebar left," I said.

"Well, we best get going," Clint announces, standing up with Tasha.

"Be safe, you two," I remind, and they nod.