Barney and Paxton

February 24th, 2017

Paxton

I had to wait a whole three weeks to be able to hang out with Barney. Mom's been a cautious wreck these past weeks, so we postponed the hangout. But today's finally the day. The only bad thing about this hangout was that I didn't know Barney was waking me up at 8 in the morning.

"Let's go, Pax," He said, throwing the blankets on the floor.

"Cold," I mutter, curling in on myself. 

"Get up, or I'm getting your Mom," He threatens. 

"You're mean," I say, adding a sniffle at the end.

"Yes, because taking you to McDonald's is mean behavior," Barney jokes, throwing a shirt and socks at me. 

"Will you protect me like you protected Peter?" I asked, slipping my shoes on. 

"Because Peter said that you went all ninja style on them," I ramble as we head downstairs. 

"We're leaving," Barney says.

"Have fun, baby," Mom waves.

I wave back and continue rambling to Barney. 

"Peter also said that our Mom would kick your ass if we got in trouble," I continue, buckling myself.

"Are you scared of our Mom, too?" I questioned, looking at Barney.

"No, but kid, listen," He says, pulling onto the freeway.

"Some advice in life," He says, and I nod.

"Don't talk too much," He deadpans, and I frown.

"Talking is useless. In an interrogation, you talk, and you're dead. Fighting with an enemy gives them an advantage. At the police station, you'll get arrested," He states, pulling into the McDonald's drive-thru.

"But, how do you make friends or get a partner?" I ask.

"Simple, you don't," He laughs. 

"But, how do you live like that?" I question, and he sighs.

"Pax, kid, I've been alive for over 50 years. Listen to me," He says, and I nod.

"Can I get whatever I want?" I questioned, seeing the McDonald's sign in the distance.

"One meal, not three meals," Barney says, pulling into the parking lot. 

I nod, and we walk through the doors, waiting in the line. It took ten minutes, but we were able to order our food.

"Hi, what can I get you?" The cashier asks.

"I'll have a Big Mac meal, please," I tell them.

"What to drink with that?" They ask.

"A large coke," I say. 

"And for you, sir," They ask. 

"A large coke as well," Barney says, pulling out his wallet. 

"That'll be 11.97," The cashier says. 

"Go find a spot," Barney tells me as he swipes his card through the register.