The Start Of A Beautiful Friendship

(January 13th, 2017)

Natasha

"Why do I have to go? Lila hates me," Paxton whined, flopping on my bed.

"Because it's her birthday, and I don't care if she hates you," I told him.

"She bullies me. And no one notices," He states, looking at the clock.

"Also, why are we driving there?" He questions.

"Plane tickets are expensive," I tell him.

"And stay by me," I suggest, and he shakes his head.

"She'll be by you the whole day," He says.

"Yeah, but she won't say anything bad, I promise," I say, holding out my pinky.

He sighs but hooks his pinky around mine. 

"Did you pack your suitcase?" I question, heading for the door.

"Clothes, Deodorant, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, charger, phone," He says.

"And it's in the car," He brags.

"Go wait in the car. I'm going to see what Peter's doing," I state, looking at Peter's half-closed door.

"Pete, baby, are you okay?" I question, softly knocking on the door.

"Yep, I'm all ready to go. I got my suitcase packed and my room clean," He states, opening the door, suitcase in hand.

I nod, and we head to the garage. I start the car, and we pull out of the garage and onto the road for our 6-hour drive to Iowa. Paxton was asleep in the first 10 minutes and woke up with 20 minutes left. Peter stayed awake for 5 hours before he finally gave in to sleep.

"How much longer?" Paxton mumbles.

"We're pulling into the driveway," I say, turning to Peter to see him still asleep.

"Pete, baby, you gotta get up," I say, keeping one hand on the wheel but shaking him with the other hand.

He jerks awake, looking at his surroundings.

"Are we there?" He questions.

"Yep," I say, unbuckling my seatbelt.

I unlock the trunk for Peter and Paxton before I head toward the door. I'm about to climb up the stairs when the door opens, and two bodies crash into mine.

"AUNT NAT!!" Lila screams, bombarding me in a hug.

I hug her back before bending to hug Nathaniel. 

"How's my little traitor doing?" I questioned, tickling his side. 

"Good, Auntie Nat," He giggles, pushing my hand away.

"And how's my sweetheart doing?" I question, pulling LIla into another hug. 

"Good, but you were gone a long time," She says.

"I know. I'm sorry," I say sympathetically, and she nods.

"Where's Peter and Paxton?" She questioned, looking at the car.

"By the trunk getting their suitcases," I explained.

"Happy birthday," I tell her, and she smiles.