All Day, All Kids

March 8th, 2017

Barney

It was the day I was dreading. I loved every kid dearly, but I don't know if I could take them all for a day. Each kid has their hobby, and combining them all will be challenging. For example, three out of five kids were dressed, fed, and ready to go, while the other two had to skip breakfast. This created an even bigger problem as I had to buy the other two breakfasts at McDonald's, which involved the other three begging for McDonald's. 

"If you buy Lila and Peter breakfast, you buy us three some," Paxton complained. 

I groaned but turned around and drove to McDonald's. 

"Here, buy a burger and a soda," I told Cooper, passing him my credit card. 

"Aren't you going with them, Nathaniel?" I asked, and he shook his head.

"Lila shares with me," He informs, and I nod. 

It takes ten minutes, but Paxton and Cooper come running toward the car with fries and a soda. Cooper hands me the credit card, and after they buckled in, I drive to a park. Lila occupies herself with her phone, obviously not a social person. Paxton and Nathaniel head off to play with the younger kids. Peter and Cooper toss a football back and forth. Eventually, the three other kids come and join them. 

The kids start sweating and complaining. I know they're done for now. I drive to an Ice cream parlor and let them order what they want. We drove back to the park after we ordered and got our food. 

"What now?" Cooper asks, engulfing his ice cream. 

"How'd everyone's Valentine go?" I questioned.

"I sat in my room like the teenager I am," Lila stated, and I nodded.

It wasn't the best, but it was a start. I looked around the table, seeing if anybody wanted to go. Paxton sighed before opening his mouth.

"I third wheeled Peter and MJ because Mom forced me to," He bit the cone of his ice cream. 

"I invited MJ to the movies, but Paxton third wheeled," Peter says. 

"I asked a girl out, and she said yes," Cooper said after a moment.

"What are we doing after this?" I asked, watching Peter, Nathaniel, and Lila finish their ice cream. 

"Laser tag," Nathaniel squealed. 

The kids nodded and ran toward the car. 

"Laster tag it is," I mumbled, running after them.

The nearest one was an hour away, which was not exciting. We had two breakdowns (Lila and Paxton), three fits thrown (All Nathaniel), and two grounded (Paxton and Cooper). But, eventually, we made it. The other kids ran ahead while Paxton dragged his feet behind. I sighed and slowed my pace, making Paxton catch up with me. 

"Whose team are you choosing?" I asked, pushing him forward a bit.

"I'm not playing," He told me, digging his feet into the cement.

I sighed and lifted him bridal style. Then, I carried him inside the building, setting him down on the floor. He tried to run away, so I held him in my arms.

"Hi, how many are playing today?" The woman at the front asked.

"Four kids," I told her, taking out a $20 bill.