Chapter XXV

haru arrived at the lobby and confirmed the reservation vegas made. he was then ushered to a small conference room for at least 30 participants capacity. there in the middle, instead of a conference table, an elegant table setting was made. after haru was escorted to the chair by vegas who happened to be there already, dishes after dishes was placed in front of them.

haru is dumbstruck by how mad vegas is. he knows that haru got a mate and this is how he made them meet. its like a date with a proposal in mind kind of a setting. flowers are blossoming here and there. bubbles are floating in the air and a light background music can be heard stimulating the ambiance of the space.

"what the hell is this?" haru remarked.

"dinner."

"dinner? it seems like youre proposing."

"i might going to do that, if youd like." vegas smiled. and haru nearly barfed on his face if it were not for the nicely presented and delectable food in front of them.

"cut the crap. what did you do the night when destan bit your brother?"

"wow, you really cut it to the point, huh. not even a meal could deter your questions?" vegas smirked.

haru knew he was nowhere near fearsome. just by his looks alone he could be mistaken as a high schooler let alone a gangster just to prove the fact that he could also be feared.

"beat it."

"fine." vegas clanged on the utensils then shoved his plate away from him and curled his arms in front of him. "i drank with my friends celebrating our rise in the social hierarchy of the stupid vampire society."

"proof?"

"really? youre asking me that?"

"if you cant, might as well tell me why did you frame destan and pin the death of your brother to him?"

"frame? are you watching too much television these days? what are you talking about? all i did was gave the idea of biting my brother so that we could be free from societys label. its your mate who really did the deed and even i as the brother wont be forgiving him anytime soon. unless..."

"what?"

"unless you give yourself to me."

"ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?"

"maybe but... this information will be the end of the royal family. you see, only me and some of destans family knew what happened in that room. thats how hushed up they really are. saving face and all. this info will be a feast to the media if i cant get you this time."

"thats so low, vegas. you know that."

"thats how i am. take me as your mate or ill just press this button and your loveable royal family will be in the gutter." he motioned for his phone screen where a send button was just centimeters away from being pressed on.

haru was about to argue but the door opened, revealing destan all disheveled and looking murderous.

"GET AWAY FROM MY SINGER, BASTARD!" destan roared from the door and aimed his sharpened nails on vegas throat.

"destan stop!" haru yelled grabbing destan by the waist and pulling him away to no avail. destans too strong and angered to hear his pleas. 

he was about to reach for vegas again when the door opened once again, revealing a waiter carrying... nothing. but the aura of the man makes one bend a knee and submit. haru was sure he was no ordinary human.

odd

the waiter reached them and went directly to vegas direction and abruptly sniffed him.

"sir, im sorry, i would like to ask if you had taken any pills or medicine of some sort? i smelled you all the way from the lobby and you stink of someone i shouldnt be smelling anymore after all these years." the waiter said smiling to him but that smile was too sweet for comfort. as a matter of fact, haru would not dare make him smile like that since it makes you feel like theres some sort of malice and threat behind it.

"uh... yes... i did drank a white pill." vegas admitted. hes been drinking that pill as long as he can  remember. it was given to him by a group from the underground saying that this could stabilize his tendencies to be succumbed by his vampiric side and be a slaughter machine. theres not that many dhampir who lived through a human lifetime because of this fact. it was effective. just once did he ever got a slip up and that resulted in...

"right."

suddenly the door opened wide and in came a huge wolf. dark as night was its fur and his eyes was blazing red. it stood as tall as the door when it came in. it was ginormous. 

vegas cant move. the two persona who just came was like from a nightmare of his. they were the same in his dreams. this huge wolf and a beautiful man who carried such elegance but got a deadly aura coming his way and chasing him. he cant take his eyes off of the beautiful man. its like he was frozen in his place. tranced.

"tell them!" the beautiful man shouting startling vegas. the phone he was securing crashed on the tiled floor and its screen died.

"t-the night... t-the night destan w-was with my brother in the room... im... im experiencing a withdrawal from... from the pills that im taking... my instincts gone haywire... i knew which room my brother was staying with destan and initially wanted to find him to help me but as soon as macau opened the door, i... i.... bit him. i dont know what came over me but just like that i took a bite on him. as soon as i let go, i calmed down and saw some sense. i profusely asked for forgiveness not knowing the effect of what i had done. given what we are, the bite that i had given him recovered fast and he returned to destan side once again. morning came, i was overjoyed knowing that my brother and i will be on a respected scale through destan but what i saw crumbled everything down. i saw destan running out to the lobby with only his pants on, all frantic and tearstained. i ran up to him asking for my brother but all he could reply was him pointing towards their room. i dragged destan back inside and saw a pile of ashes on the bed. i thought destan made him like that and still believed it was what really happened but i cant deny it that it was i who first bit my brother and i suppose my venom entered him. i was out of my mind that time. i cant grasp fact from delusion." vegas finished his side and this made destan all the more mad.

"YOU BASTARD! ALL MY LIFE I BLAMED MYSELF FOR THE SINS THAT I HADNT COMMITTED. HOW COULD YOU!" destan roared in anger with haru still on his waist pulling him back. he wouldnt want to witness a murder even if its for getting even.

slowly, the beautiful man approached the raging destan and swiped a stray hair away from his face. this made haru puzzled as well. who are these two people? the moment they intervened on the scene, haru knew they knew something. but whats with the pills?

"be calm, my child." with that destan felt as if he was blown by the cool spring wind. he stood there all loose and calm. haru ushered him to a seat as destan seemingly lost feelings on his feet and checked his mates face.

"destan, are you okay?" seeing that destan was still out of it, he turned to the two. "what have you done to him?" haru was a bit annoyed but glad at the same time that he calmed a mad destan. hes beginning to get tired pulling him back.

"hes gonna be okay, dear. i think you have to go now. well take care of him." he pointed at vegas. "be careful, soon you are not alone anymore." the beautiful man said smiling at him and looking at him somewhere in his body. what is he implying? he got a kind smile but he exudes authority and love at the same time. very much like grandma ethan but at the same time, not. who is he?

haru was a bit puzzled at his remark but hell take his suggestion. they need to get themselves out of there.

before they could step foot out of the room, haru heard a loud growl and a snap. when haru turned around he could only see the beautiful man. vegas and the huge wolf was gone. the beautiful man then sighed and waved away urging them to go on as he fixed the table as if nothing happened. 

and so they did walked out. haru was a bit surprised to be approached by a man in suit and asking for his consent to carry the large frame of destan for him. he doesnt know where the notion came from but he somehow knew that hes part of destans security. he let him and as soon as he was lifted off of him, he gasped. destans a big guy in contrast to his lean self. 

"where to sir?" the security guy inquired.

"home."