CHAPTER SEVEN

-FIVE YEARS AGO-

-FIVE YEARS AGO-

This is why I don't walk around with Jaylen.

We could not get three steps around campus without someone trying to talk to him. Guys and girls alike. Girls wanting to flirt and get his attention and guys just being groupies.

He's always been popular but at this point it's giving hood famous.

It's giving celebrity.

I didn't even want to spend my weekend with Jaylen but he begged me to. Him, Amara and I are MIT students and I'm the one that is good at match and science. Amara was always a beast at art so she wanted to do Architecture as the responsible choice. And lil ol' me decided to do Chemical Engineering.

I just barely scrapped in but I got in regardless.

A win is a win.

God knows how Jaylen met the requirements for a biological engineering degree. And only an even higher power knows how he made it past his first year.

But as two engineer students he asked me to help him study. Me being the good friend I am, I accepted a 7 to 12 shift of hardcore studying with Jaylen in the library because he promised bubble tea.

I think after berating him for a few hours, we made solid progress.

"If you even say hello to one more person, I am choking you out."

"Come on Neuzaaaaaa," he whined bumping me playfully, "we had a good morning. I'm getting you your drink let's just vibe."

"Well let's get my drink faster. I'm starving so I want cake now. I trust you'll take care of that."

"Aren't we both broke college students? Why do you want stuff?"

"Broke? Talk about you, not me."

None of us were broke but we weren't rich. Our parents made enough for us to have whatever we needed. At the same time, it wasn't like we had every single item we wanted.

That's why we're working on our careers.

"Shut up. Your dad would rather die than hear you refer to yourself as broke."
...

"No fuckinggggg way," Jaylen spoke loudly getting everyone's attention. I was so embarrassed. We hadn't even been in this bubble tea shop for three seconds. "Not the party animal," he hollered doing a handshake with some guy who laughed with him.

I moved closer to Jaylen and realised that the girl sitting across from the guy was familiar.

"Sunyoung, right?"

"Have we meet," the girl asked a bit too... fakely. I could tell she knew who I was. That over animated eye squint wasn't getting anyone.

"Yes the party last time," I continued. Girl you know you know me. Don't act brand new. Girls like this get on my nerves. "You were with Agnes."

"Annoying Agnes," Jaylen asked in a loud whisper
making the guy laugh as I nodded.

"Oh," she faked a bit embarrassed, "her. Yeah we're not close."

"Could have fooled me," I replied looking at my nails.

It was shady but it wasn't.

"Hey, have we met before," the guy asked with a smile looking at me. I pointed at myself after looking around. He nodded confirming he was speaking to me with a wide smile.

"Oh no," I responded shyly, "we haven't meet yet."

This guy is really pressure.

His dark, long hair. His big lips and... that beautiful big smile. And his eyes smile too, I like that. Perfect skin - so jealous. His smooth, deep voice and that laugh was so infectious. And how does he have perfect eyebrows?

And his arms looked so good in that fitted Nike shirt.

"I never forget a pretty face," he smiled resting his head on his hand. Just looking at me in a way that gave me butterflies. "Your face is definitely an unforgettable one. I knew I couldn't have seen you before."

Okay... come on rizz.

"Oh my god, stop," I giggled feeling my cheeks get warm even though I have very dark skin. "I know I'm pretty but no one ever put it like that."

"I even feel shy talking to you. You're that pretty."

"Aighttttt," Jaylen cock-blocked. "Chill out on my sis Hajoon. She's off limits."

Says who?

"What's your name sweetheart," Hajoon asked ignoring Jaylen. Continuing to focus on me.

Not too many guys would ignore Jaylen.

But I'm not complaining.

"I'm Neuza."

"And I'm Hajoon," he extended his hand and we shook hands as I giggled and he smiled.

What is this? My heart is beating so fast.

"Neuza you said you wanted bubble tea, come on. You haven't ordered."

Jaylen, just go away! Damn, why is he still here?!

I gave him a look as he huffed.

No Jaylen wasn't in love with me. That is just yucky. He's literally my brother of the heart. We're not related by blood but we were definitely siblings in another life. Him, Amara and I.

Our parents raised us three as damn near triplets. Our parents all grew up in the same area and when they had us, we were just raised together.

Sleepovers, spending the weekends at each others house the whole thing. If Amará had a Disneyland trip, her moms were making sure Jaylen and I were going and vice versa. Like we can go to each other's moms like our own. My mum was literally the one who had the birds and bees talk with all of us.

But back to Jaylen. Like every older brother, he is overprotective and doesn't want us to be with any guy. He doesn't approve of anyone and hates the idea of Amara and I dating guys.

Little does he know... chile we gon leave that one.

"Hajoon-oppa," Sunyoung whined, "we have that thing to go to. We don't want to be la-"

"Neuza you want bubble tea?"

"Yeah that's what I basically dragged Jaylen over here for."

"Well, if I get you bubble tea, you give me your number. Deal?"

"Deal."

"You can't fucking come around MIT, I am fucking you up bro, on God," Jaylen childishly whined as he fake threatened Hajoon. We were exchanging numbers and he was throwing a tantrum.

Typical Jaylen. Hajoon didn't give a fuck and I like that.

"Good thing I'm a Harvard student."