CHAPTER SIXTEEN

TRIGGER WARNING - this chapter deals with topics of miscarriage so if this topic is triggering to you, please skip it.

-THREE YEARS AGO-

Hajoon's family has been here for two days and it has been so hard to get in contact with him. We still text but even those are slow...

I want to talk to him because I really haven't been feeling well...

I'm so nauseous lately. I feel tired all the time and my appetite has been weird... sometimes I'm really hungry and other times I can barely keep food down.

I just wanted to talk to him about it.

"Are you sure you're okay to go to school today bubs," Jaylen asked snacking on some Lucky charms.

"I'm sure," I said slowly trying to keep the vomit down. I have always liked his perfume, I like the Boy Toy perfume but it's... too much today. "I just have to drink water."

Amara had gone to class but Jaylen had come to see if I was okay. They wanted me to desperately go to the doctors but I just wanted to see if it'd get worse.

"You want me to drive you," he offered jumping down the counter. "I-"

"Jaylen, I said I got it!"

Why am I... annoyed? I love being a passenger princess...

"Okay," he said softly, "but I still want to take you. You're not feeling well that's why. I know you got it. We can listen to that Japanese shit you like," he offered wiggling his brows.

"It's anime openings," I playfully rolled my eyes, "but okay. I guess you can take me."
...

Throughout the whole of class I could barely focus. I started feeling very faint and uncomfortable cramping. It wasn't painful yet but it was uncomfortable and consistent.

It's so weird... I just checked my period app, I'm not due till two weeks. This is just strange.

"Oh, you're her," a feminine voice called out. The woman stepped into my field of vision with a very sinister smile.

I was just trying to get home. I can barely stand up right like whoever this is, I just need to get home.

But... she did look familiar...

"You're who my little brother has been hidding," she giggled as I stared at her awkwardly. "Hey little sister in law!"

"Hey," I greeted back uncertainly, "are you related to Hajoon?"

"I am his step-sister, Lee Suryeon, nice to meet you honey," she greeted still with a weird smile extending her hand.

"Nice to meet you too," I replied back unsurely.

"Fuck it," she laughed, "I was going to be cute and slowly introduce web myself into your life and- but... that's not my style. How about we grab some lunch and I tell you all about my beloved little brother? Com-"

"Listen... I appreciate you contacting me." I don't. "But everything I need to know about Hajoon he has told me so, I don't need this so if you'll excuse me-"

"So you knew he has a set date for the marriage to Kim Haeun? I gu-"

"Excuse me," I asked stopping in my tracks. "What did you just say?"

Hajoon... is getting married? No... this is a lie. It is not true...

"You didn't know," the sister asked in a mocking tone with a smile. "But you just told me he told you all you need to know."

This bitch.

"You knew, I didn't know that," I stated stepping to her. I could feel the tears but I wasn't going to give her that. I could tell this girl was very mean spirited.

"Of course, I knew darling," she smiled tucking a strand of hair between my ear. "I know you don't know way more things but... if he told you everything-"

"Stop and tell me."

"So, let's sit down and talk calmly, honey. That cafe over there looks nice, what do you think?"
...

"I'm sat. I ordered tea. Now tell me," I asked. The smell of the cafe in itself was nauseating and I was still cramping.

I was trying to remain strong but, I was five seconds away from fainting...

"So Hajoon, is arranged to be married," she asked stirring her drink, "father wants to get his hands into the land the Kim family owns in Jeju and Seoul and- you know business. The quickest way is to get Hajoon to marry Haeun-"

"Wait... how long has he known about this?"

Maybe it was planned last week... Hajoon would never keep this from me otherwise.

"When was it," Suryeon pretend mumbled feigning thinking. "Since he was like seventeen, our families agreed on the date last year and he should be married by... end of this year! Just after he finishes University, they're announcing the engagement but... you knew all this!"

I remained silent in a state of shock... he had a date set whilst we were dating? But last year, we were happy... he took me to the fair, we took that beach trip, I slept over at his house for the first tim- I said I loved him for the first time and he said it back...

Did he say he loved me whilst he was engaged to her?

I could barely think...

"MIT student is pretty good but... I think rich girl with rich family kinda wins," Suryeon teased imitating two scales. "I think father wouldn't let him be with you. No offence, I do like y-"

"Please stop," I asked with a small voice. "I feel sick. I need you to stop."

"Is it considered cheating on her... or did he cheat on you? My little brother sure knows-"

"I'm leaving. I can't deal with this right now," I staggered out of my seat feeling incredible dizzy.

I walked two steps before I felt someone holding my arm stabilising me.

"Neuza, what is wrong," Amara asked. I could barely hear but I could faintly hear her. "Neuza! Omg Valé-"

Everything went dark. The next time I woke up I was laying in a hospital bed. I still had a banging headache but no cramps...

"Hey, hey," Amara calmly jumped up helping me sit up and drink water. "Are you feeling better?"

"Yeah," I replied in a questioning manner. "What happened?"

Amara looked at me worryingly.

"I cá-called Hajoon already but, um.. I'll gra-"

"Miss Silva, how are you feeling," a doctor asked as he walked in with a clipboard. He had a gentle smile and I looked at Amara. "Glad to see you awake-"

Why won't she look at me?

"What is going on? I'm confused..."

The doctor and Amara shared a look before she started hugging me from the side.

"Miss Silva, I am sorry to share that you have suffered a miscarriage today."