melting

Haruto wasn't in a rush to see Jeongwoo after class. He honestly wanted to roll over and sink into a puddle of his own stupidity.

Especially because everywhere he went Jeongwoo’s teasing face was. In his literature class, history, pre-cal — couldn’t the world just give him a break. He was so in his mind about it, the fact that they held hands, the fact that he kissed Jeongwoo’s cheek…

HE KISSED JEONGWOO’S CHEEK!

He barely heard the bell ring.

“Hyung,” Haruto flinched a little when he felt a hand pat his shoulder. It was Junghwan, who greeted him with a sly smile. “Someone's waiting for you.”

Haruto’s heart mind as well had dropped to his feet and rolled over to where Jeongwoo was standing with his wide back facing the window.

Nope.

“Tell him I'm not here.”

Junghwan creased his eyebrows and began to snort. “What? Dude, he already saw you—”

“Ju— just tell him to me, Junghwan!” Because I can’t be seen like this! Haruto wanted to say, but maybe Junghwan already got the memo when he ducked behind his desk (which didn’t hide a thing, mind you).

Haruto took a moment to let his breathing cool down. And maybe another moment for his heart to stop beating all fast, and he stood up—

“AH!”

“I knew it!” Jeongwoo shouted while pointing at him. Haruto looked at Junghwan for help, but the younger one just shrugged and walked off. This kid!

“I thought I told Junghwan to tell you I wasn’t here…”

“I saw you already.” Jeongwoo smiled, and Haruto felt like maybe he was melting all over again.

“I have something to tell you,” Haruto hears him say, his voice unusually soft.

“What is it?”

“Not here,” Jeongwoo’s voice is soft again, and Haruto gets confused when he feels a pat on his head.

He coughs to hide his face, which is probably red as a cherry right now. “Where?”

Jeongwoo shrugs and takes hold of his hand, and Haruto hopes he doesn't feel how sweaty his palms are. “I’ll take you.”

And maybe he allows himself to be pulled by Jeongwoo, out past where the trail they usually take, down near the river bank… the place they had a picnic.

The second Haruto’s shows touch the grass, Jeongwoo turns to stare at him.

Why in the world?