Chapter Thirteen: Singing for Sundaes and House-Party Kareoke

The next school week came and went with little fanfare (I did see Brian and his gang on Monday, but they were no -shows for the rest of the week) as I went through the motions of being settled in at Trotter's Ridge High (almost everyone knew of the near-fatal hit-and-run attempt by Chelsea Monroe and was relieved that Quez had her removed from the school newspaper). And of course, I was taken to many after-school outings and even made the men's aquatics team and Honors Society. Even so, I was feeling a bit jaded due to Kenya's negative words that nagged in my head and reminded me that I was never going to be enough.

You're being a poser, Vion. These people here in Virginia will only use you and abuse you. They'll say the right things and all that before they lull you into a false web and then devour you. Save face and head home to me. At least I'll be the one to put you out of your misery so I can continue to rule the Ninth Ward. You don't belong in Stonehaven Pointe or anywhere else where I'm not around to make sure that you're miserable.

And even as Saturday came around and I was currently leaving Uncle Donnie's shop after helping him open up and serve customers, her words still stung me to the core to keep me from heading to Slade's Diner up ahead.

You can't sing in front of these people, Vion! Anytime you open your mouth, I'd slamp your throat back in N'awlins so everyone would think you can't sing! I'm the only who can be a star, not you, she growled devilishly as I headed up the walk and took deep breaths to calm my nerves. Go back to your relatives' house and make arrangements to head back to the 'hood, back to me so you can beg for my forgiveness!

"No, Kenya," I said sotto-voce, taking another deep breath. "I'm not going back. Me leaving you is the best thing for my sanity."

No, it's not! You need to come to your senses, pack your shit, come back to me, and be my slave again before I finally get rid of your ass! I'm the only one who can be happy and you can't and if I can't have you, no one can!

"Vion!"

I snapped out of my thoughts to see Chasity and Quez approach me as I soon found myself outside of Slade's Diner and Ice-Cream Parlor. "Oh, hey," I said tiredly, giving them a small smile. "I was just dealing with some negative thoughts that were trying to convince me to not come here."

"Kenya?" Quez asked, eyes narrowed in silts as he crossed his arms.

"Kenya," I replied. "She's still haunting me and reminding me of how I'm acting like a poser and all. Honestly, it's starting to be a real downer and getting old real quick."

"Ouch," Chasity winced. "Well, Brian and the other John Dandy Boys are here and even the manager has his fiddle ready as you sing. Are you going to be able to do it?"

I nodded. "I told myself that I can't let her win," I told the duo. "Me coming to this town and breaking away from Kenya was needed a long time ago. She's not going to keep me from starting to live life to the fullest."

"Good to know because it's a shame to let yourself hide back into your shell after making positive waves," I heard the cool and slick voice of Brian Westley as he, looking as if he was a modern-day Paul Newman with a form-fitting T-shirt and jeans, came outside. "You deserved better than what you settled for back in your own neighborhood."

"Tell me about it," Quez commented. "People these days can be too caustic and cruel. We used to lift each other and now we're talking trash and tearing down each other's self-esteem. It's no wonder that the decline of the civilization is on the rise."

"I heard that," Chasity hummed. "Now, I want to hear some singing. Vion, don't let Kenya get you down even though she's in New Orleans and you're here. You're not a poser and we're not out to ruin you. You're among friends."