Chapter Forty-Nine: Quintarrus and Damon, Part One

Third-Person POV

Two days later...

Gentle reader, if there is one thing that this particular author knows about complex teenage love affairs; it's that it can be very complicated when it involves a same-sex pairing, especially when it involves two athletes who are on top of the social ladder at high school. It's even more dangerous when it comes to having these lovers come from upstanding families who are known in small towns.

But when it comes down to Quintarrus Rozier and Damon Erskine- our two allies who are Guardians and the co-captains of the Trotter's Ridge Pirates football team, you'd be surprised to learn that the chemistry between them was nearing combustion since they began freshman year. Unfortunately, some of their teammates were known to be less than understanding when it comes to sexual orientation with their strong religious beliefs and their goals of dating cheerleaders or dance team members. So, the two jocks knew that they had to keep up appearances for the sake of their social statuses with Damon going steady with Felicity and Quintarrus with Tahira.

Surprisingly enough, both Tahira and Felicity understood where the boys truly had feelings for each other and knew that they had to keep things platonic yet maintain their celebrity statuses as the joint "It Couples" of Trotter's Ridge High. But when they learned of the true origins of the John Dandy Boys Club and how Vion was now involved in homoerotic relationships with the all-male organization, the girls knew that it was perfect for their soon-to-be former boyfriends to give the thought of joining the brotherhood a chance. And if that wasn't enough, Superintendent Wesley and his son Brian were the ones to initially extend an invite just three days before Vion, his uncle, and the Thompson father/son duo were initiated.

"This might be a good thing for you," Felicity had commented to Damon on the morning of the ball. "Plus, you and Quin can remain discreet with your love affairs. I know that your parents are main supporters of St. Thomas Catholic Church and all, but this is when you need to take a stand and show your parents that times are indeed changing."

For Tahira, she knew that Quintarrus' family would be even less understanding with his late father being known to beat anyone who was going against the ways of the Rozier family name. "You don't have to be a He-Man all the time, Quin," she had softly reminded him that afternoon while they were getting dressed. "You and Damon have been hiding it for so long that it's not even funny. Don't let your dad's legacy take hold of your future and deny you of what you and Damon can have together. Vion found his purpose. Now it's your turn to do the same."

Both football players gave thought to what was said for a good bit, even after confessing their feelings to an unperturbed Vion who advised them to give the invite some thought and let each other know where things stand between them.
"Rozier! Erskine!"

Both boys jumped up at the booming football coach's voices as they emerged from the locker room after a grueling football practice. "Yeah, Coach Turner?" Damon asked. "What's up?"

The athletic and middle-aged man stared them down. "Listen, you two are going to Copeland's birthday party this weekend, right?" he asked.

The teens nodded.

"And I assume that you both know of what's really going on with that brotherhood, right?   

"We've understood all the basics of everything, Coach Turner, even more so when we've been invited to join them a while back, Quintarrus answered honestly. "Frankly, Damon and I haven't given Mr. Westley our answer, yet we know that the offer won't last long."

"Then I suggest that you two take tomorrow after the game to consider it seriously," Coach Turner commented, his tone brooking no argument. "Hell, I see you two as part of the gang and I'm a Guardian my damn self. I'd take the offer if I were you."