Chapter Forty: New Kid in Town (Reprise)

Meanwhile...

Nathan Roger Bavier.

Remember that name, gentle readers, because as he was finishing up arranging his new room after he and his parents (both former investigative reporters and current new reporters for WSHN-TV) made the three-day trek from New Jersey to Stonehaven Pointe; he was already feeling both excited and ambitious for his arrival at Trotter's Ridge High School.

Unlike most teens who weren't looking forward to uprooting their lives while in high school and leaving behind familiar territory, Nathan looked forward to any challenges as he was already known to be a high-achiever by his old friends. For him, he looked for any means to escape the humdrum of his small hometown of Teapeck Township where everyone knew each other and there wasn't much to discover or do. He wanted action, glamour, excitement, and even a bit of drama- all the things that made up a good storyline straight out of a teen soap opera.

Once he got a good look around Stonehaven Pointe, he knew that he had hit the jackpot with a town that was minutes away from the beaches yet almost close enough to Hampton Roads. "It's like I'm walking right into a real-life sound-stage from Degrassi or the Beverly Hills 90210 franchise," he  had chirped to his preschool friend Avery Hotchkiss over the phone yesterday after coming home from being registered for his classes at his new school. "And Trotter's Ridge is definitely my kind of place."

And even as he finished up his nesting phase for his bedroom while his parents were out disposing the trash and all, he knew that a game plan needed to be made when he would make his debut at school. He didn't want to let all opportunities pass him by. With his parents being reporters and him wanting to follow in their footsteps, he wanted to be where the action was.

He grabbed a notebook and pen before heading to his bed to write a list.

1. Make new friends who are connected to the bigwigs and popular crowds.
2. Join any clubs or after-school activities (preferably the school newspaper)
3. Score any invites to any parties held by anyone EXCEPT the unpopulars or the rejects.
4. Get to know any enigmatic cliques that captivate my attention.

"That ought to do it," Nathan hummed as he heard the front door open from downstairs. "Nathan? Can you come down?" he heard his mother holler.

"On my way," he yelled as he left his room and jostled downstairs, being greeted by his mom while his dad was currently talking with a casual-dressed Black young man. "What's up?"

"Nathan, this De'Marquez Houlton from down the street," his father said, gesturing to the unnamed teenager. "He's the editor-in-chief for the school newspaper and has a blog of his own."

"Charmed," the young man said formally. "Feel free to call me Quez."

"Sure," Nathan said as the young men shook hands. "I'm looking forward to start out anywhere here in town and at school on Monday. Maybe you and I can meet up and you can show me around town- introduce me to who's who."

"Of course, but not tomorrow. I have to be at a mens-coming-out masquerade ball and I'm given VIP access to all that's happening there."

"Really?" Mrs. Bavier said. "Do tell."

"Well, it's hosted by the school superintendent who also advises the all-male fraternal organization known as the John Dandy Boys Club and the adult version called the John Dandy Men's Club," Quez explained. "Four new members will be formally inducted at the beautillion and it's sure to be a good time. Some celebrities will be there- major and minor, of course. But it's mainly a community event."

That caught Nathan's attention. Masquerade ball? Male cotillion? Celebrities? he thought. Perfection! "Is there a chance that I might get an invite?" Nathan asked tentatively.