Chpter 13.5: So Much Potential Locked Away

Third-Person POV

"I'm still amazed how he keeps himself poised and modest," one of the watchers commented as they continued their surveillance over Vion, watching him talk to some of the teens as the party that was held by the cheerleader continued on. "His performances today showed us that he is indeed a gifted soul who could be going places."

"He might have earlier on had it not been for Miss Halliday and her cruel treatment on him back in New Orleans," their teenage leader intoned. "It still upsets and angers me how she treated him like garbage for most of his life. I can't even imagine what might've happened if he stayed in town just to make her happy."

"A tragic and early demise, that's what might've happened," another watcher noted, seeing Vion accept a plate of party food from the hostess's mother. "We've already known this firsthand, but it needed to be said. I sense a great deal of potential inside of him that should've been nurtured from the start when he was in middle school. His parents needed to have him here with us from the beginning. Maybe he could've been a part of us from the beginning."

"Not necessarily," said yet another. "For one, his parents knew that they couldn't bring him to our main leader right out. People might've been suspicious for the most part and maybe it was fate that kept him in New Orleans before he came to Virginia. Still, it's still amazing that Vion has never gotten too arrogant."

"All because he was from a neighborhood that was struggling and other youths didn't have a chance to survive," their teen leader noted. "If anything, it was fitting that Vion did have the girl's family to lend him some comforts even as she wanted him to remain miserable while she got to waste her life away. Remember, brothers, that people of her caliber are never worthy to be among us or those who keep watch over future candidates."

"Right," said the second watcher. "What do we do now?"

"We let our master leader make the offer, gentlemen. I do believe that Vion will make the right choice and become one of us, but we still need to get him to come out of his shell. No doubt that Miss Halliday's words still mock and tear his sanity down. And our little informant is still worried that she might still come here and bully him into leaving us."

"The boss won't allow it," the first watcher said indignantly. "He already has big plans for Bay'Vion and that harlot will face grave consequences from this town, the Bookers, and even us if she even dares to do so."

"All the more reason for us to continue our watch until the time is right to reveal ourselves," their teen leader commented. "For now, we must blend in and continue to gain his trust by taking him home."

***************

The Houlton Post

Potential and Jealous Haters

If there's one thing I've learned when it comes down to gifted people with so much talent and potential, it's how there's always going to be many haters who like to belittle the talented or accuse them for being show-offs out or pure pettiness.

And when it comes to the new kid known as Bay'Vion Copeland, I can attest that he has been dealing with a lot of hate and had to hide the greatness that he showed me and my friends today out of fear of facing retaliation from his spiteful godsister Kenya Halliday. I'm not one to bash people, but Miss Halliday is the type of person who believes that only she- a party girl who wastes time and her purposes- can have a great life while others can't. And as she was Vion's god-sister and 'only friend' back in New Orleans, she liked to trash-talk and bully him into being her puppet and whipping boy while denying him opportunities to live his life. Everyone knew that Vion was talented yet he had to be pushed into the spotlight by such a young woman whose talent is being a spoiled-rotten young woman who doesn't want anyone who doesn't agree with her to outshine her out of sheer jealousy.

For Vion, he had to miss out on life and settle for less while dealing with his god-sister's barbed words and subtle threats. He did everything she asked him to down to the letter, only to receive put-downs and cruelty. He had to shy away from everyone so she can be the next "Bourbon Street Socialite," if there's ever such a thing. I don't know about all of that, but tonight was when my friends and I saw him unleash a side of him that needed to be let out a long time ago. Who can say what might have happened if he was surrounded by people who wanted the best for him and helped him unlock his potential earlier? Then again, Vion isn't the one to put on any airs since he grew up on the rough streets of the Ninth Ward neighborhood of New Orleans; so it's no secret that he had to not only survive another day but also remember that he didn't have much to begin with.

I want to close this by saying that I see a lot of talent in Vion and there's no telling what can happen if he becomes a part of the all-male brotherhood at our school. After everything he's been through, he deserves to be a part of a club that can truly unlock the potential that he has had to lock away due to the vicious words and hands of Kenya Halliday. Where do I envision him in five to ten years? I see him living in his true destiny. For Miss Halliday, I see her facing a grim ending unless she learns to eat crow. And that's the bottom line. Enough said!

How true, Quez Houlton! How true!

The next chapter features Vion being a musical sensation as word of his performances spread like wildfire and he auditions for the glee club. And then, he's given the opportunity to join the John Dandy Boys Club! I promise you this, folks, that from there...there's going to be a LOT of drama in the midst, especially when it involves Kenya Halliday! Fasten your seatbelts because act one is going to be legit!

Vote.
Comment.
Share.
Follow.
Add.
FAN!