Chapter 40

Jisoo's P.O.V

Thanks to Jennie, who was a big help, I feel better than I did yesterday. particularly the food; perhaps I will have cup noodles once more if she isn't here. Though I'm sure it will pass quickly, my muscles are still hurting.I once more curl up on the blanket and close my eyes to relax, but my thoughts kept wandering to Jennie, who might also be in the mood for a nap. 

It's six o'clock when I open my eyes and look at the time. Upon waking up from the couch, I immediately searched for Jennie, but all I could find on the table was ready-to-eat cooked food "Jen?" I called.

I started by looking at the food, and wow, it's delicious. Even though I'm starving right now, I have to check on Jennie first. I go about looking for her and head for the balcony to check if she's still reading Lisa's old books, but to my surprise, there was just the book and a cup of coffee. I decide to put on my mask because I think that's where she is currently.

"Jen?" As soon as I walked into the room, I called her name softly. She was sitting next to Lisa, who was sleeping at the time. 

Jennie turned to face me and smiled; despite her mask, I could clearly tell that she was beaming. I can't blame her if she cries all night because her eyes are still puffy from sobbing; perhaps this is her method of letting out feelings that she can't express to Lisa. 

"Do you want to take a rest? I'm sure Lisa will be fine here or I'll look after her while you are asleep" I suggested.

"I'm okay" Jennie said and looked back at Lisa again "She has been deeply dozed for quite some time."

Lisa hardly opened her eyes for more than a minute after waking up. She is still under observation, but everything is stable and her vital signs are typical. Now that Lisa has awakened from her coma, Jennie is quite concerned because Lisa never stayed awake for more than ten minutes at a time. Maybe she's regaining her strength from what happened to her.

"Don't worry, she will be fine soon" I comforted her. 

Jen rub Lisa's hand before standing up "Let's give her comfort. Could we go get our meal now?" 

I nod my head and open the door for her. She march towards the kitchen and prepare a hot tea for me. I remove my mask after closing the door and wash my hands immediately. 

"I can help you with food preparation so you don't have to serve me everything. You shouldn't look like a helper in a situation like this." I muttered as I placed the plates down on the table.

She chuckled and put the tea beside my plate "This is an act of kindness to say thank you for looking after Lisa." 

When she turn her back to take some cup of rice, my heart seems like crumpling. To be honest, she shouldn't pay for everything. First of all, I'm unable to make up for all the suffering she endured previously as an outcome of me. I just laugh softly and shake my head on what she had said.

"Nah, you don't owe anything. Instead, I owe a lot to you and Lisa"

She didn't reply back at all.

We ate quietly after that. I take my medication so that the sickness will fully go away. Just as she did yesterday night, Jennie checked on Lisa for a little while before staying out on the balcony to read a book. 

In an attempt to get some fresh air, I followed her. She didn't even bat an eyelid when I appeared—rather, she carried on reading her book. 

We never really discuss the past, even though I know we are fine. I don't think I'll ever be able to let go of the inkling I had in the past about the mistake, selfishness, and heartlessness.