Chapter 31: Waiting

Cato's POV

********************

13 August 3113 (15th day in arena)

********************

Slivers of sunlight break there way through the cracks in the roof. I let out a fustrated sigh. Slept for four hours last night, five the night before. I can't sleep, over Clove being the way she is.

I know our shelter is camoflauged, but so is Gingie. She could very swiftly creep in and kill us in our sleep, even though I'm not sure she's the killing type. Then, I wouldn't even know if Clove was dead or alive.

I'm hopeless. And my mother then thinks I have could medical experience over my grand-mothers job of being a nurse. Well, I don't.

Frowning, I sit up. Looking at Clove, I sigh. What can I do? Nothing. She could die in here, over my stupid actions. I mean who sends the girl they love into the most dangerous place in the world.

I run my hands through my hair. A habit I have gotten into, since Clove got, well like 'this'. I take a mouthful of water, trying to calm my burning throat. It soothes for one second, then flares back up again. I let out an angry sigh. I look at Clove.

Her hair seems to have lost its colour. Her cheeks have hollowed in. Her skin is so pale, as it lost its natural glow. She's cold to touch, like ice, freezing. Her lips are getting whiter my the minute, and they looked chapped. I keep finding myself staring at her eyes. Hoping her lashes will flutter open. They don't.

I fold up my sleeping bag ad shove it into my pack. Then I notice something, Clove's ribs poking out through her wine top. I gasp slightly, I run my hands over them. Coming into the games, this wasn't there.

She weighs about 50-51kg. That's the weight of a 12 year old girl like. She should weigh 56-58kg minimum.

I can't help but notice we only have one and a half containers of water left. Clove's is the one. I won't drink her water. I bite my lip, contemplating whether or not I should stay with Clove, or make a run to the river.

I decide the latter. The river is what? Two minute walk, back aswell. I slip on my pack, just incase. I creep out of the shelter, look around, seeing no one, I take off.

*********************

I gasp when I get there. I came to the right place, right? There's no water. Its drained. Its not that hot to dry it up. Suddenly I realise how hot it actually is. I follow the river down some more. No water.

An iridescent beetle crosses my path, scuring towards the river. It scampers over the banks and when he gets to where the water should be, he panics. Like me, he walks down a bit. Then up a bit. Realising its futile he crawls back over the banks and walks off.

I storm back to Clove. Angry as hell. When I get there, she's in the position I left her. I forget for a second that she isn't the way she is.

"You'll never guess what. The whole river is gone. It either dried up or they drained it. How we gonna get water now?" I complain.

Then I remember the way she is. I sit next to her. I lift up her hair, revealing the poppy bruise, covering the left side of her head. Then the dent, just up above her left temple. Its a big dent.

********************

Sitting cross-legged outside the shelter, with a twig, I find myself drawing up a plan to kill Thresh. I wil kill him, he's my kill. After trying to think how to sneak up on him for another hour. I realise my work is unproductive. I have nothing to show for it. I suppose I'll just go in head on when he's not looking.