Chapter 75: Confusion.

Clove's POV

* * * * * * * * * * * *

12 August 3114

* * * * * * * * * * * *

"Well, well, well, look who we have here; the show off from one, the oh-so-innocent farm girl from eleven and let's not forget ny scrawny mother to be fron two now, shall I?" Titus' creepy voice eats away at me.

Fayr inches closer to me. I unhook a sharp knife from my belt. Titus eyes it suspiciously.

"Moving closer won't help you little girl. She won't be able to protect you."

"What do you want Titus?" Gloss asks him. I glance over to him.

"Isn't it obvious?" he chortles. I push my long hair over my shoulder. "To hear at least three canons going off tonight."

Faye begins to shake next to me, this is the closest she's been to 'death'. I bite my lip in anticipation for him to charge at us.

"Don't you wish you killed me now, Clover? Then we wouldn't be standing here at this very moment."

Titus snickers loudly and pulls out a trident. I didn't know he used them.

"Run Clove." Gloss hisses at me. Faye squeaks quietly, more to herself then me. "I said run Clove!"

"Oh yes, run Clover, because running will let you escape Titus' wrath." Titus mocks in a sing song voice.

Faye looks at me and I dare glance at her for a few seconds.

Titus fents with his trident and Faye shuffles backwards. "Run Clove, not for your sake, for the baby's and Faye!"

I look at Gloss, there's a glint in his eyes. Something is different and I don't like it. I contemplate leaving him alone with Titus. I run my finger over the long scar on my cheek.

Could I risk it?

I turn on my heels and sprint away from the two, taking Faye with me.

I run,  again unaware of where I am running to. I don't want to go too far away in case Gloss gets into trouble.

I run as fast as I can, shuffling over the rocks on the floor and dodging the dry, leafy vegetation. I stop after a few seconds.

This isn't me, I don't run away. I'm not the scared little girl who runs away from her fears, I face them while gritting my teeth. I'm not the same person as I was last year. I've lost who I am. I'm weaker and less capable.

Why?

Because I'm pregnant,  that's why. And if I wasn't, no doibt I would have never left Gloss in the first place.

"Clove?" Faye breathes my name heavily. "What are you doing?"

"This way." I confirm to her to get her off my case. I turn left and stare up at the large tree. "Come on, up!"

"What?" she stutters.

"Up the tree Faye!" I hurry her. She gives me a meek nod. She scales up the tree with ease, she con until she's up about twenty feet. She crawls onto a thick branch of the tree and plants herself there.

I copy her. I grip the dried out bark of the tree and pull myself up off the ground. I place my feet in two groves in the tree. I get back into climbing within seconds and I'm scaling up the tree at my regular rate.

The bark is scorched and they scald my hands and fingers. I wince at the pain but I charge on. I reach Faye after another few seconds.

I ease out onto another branch just above her. I feel my left hand shake so I grip the burning bark of the tree.