Chapter 14: The Almost Kiss

20 days till the reaping. woo. I get up groggily and dress in my training outfit, i tie my hair up in a sleek, tie ponytail. I skip breakfast and jog to the centre, playing with my knife on the way. I walk in and Zayn makes his way over to me. "Cato's not here yet, relax, combat today" I nod slightly excited. "C'mere help me get out the focus mitts" I jog over and help him.

"Thank you Zayn, for the training, it helped me so much" I say gratefully. "Your ready Clove, your agile, petite, fast, your the best knife thrower in the district, you can climb and swim as fast as I can run, and you could whip Cato's ass in combat" "Will she now?" I spin around to see Cato smirking. He walks over grabs two mitts and says "C'mon Clover" "Be back in ten minutes" Zayn says.

"Punch, hard and fast" I nod sheepishly. I force my fist's out whacking the pad, over and over. Minutes later I'm still going. My fist's are red. I being unable to give up keep hitting it. Ouch..Ouch. Keep going Clove. "Kick" He states moving the pad to his head. I gulp and lift my leg.

I hear a WHACK. I realise I kicked it. I mentally applaud myself. I try again. Keyword: try. But Cato decides it will be fun to trip me. So I do I fall. But trip him on the way. I smirk as it ends up me on top of him.

He rolls trying to get me off. It ends up us rolling across the floor. Me, laughing uncontrollably. He stops rolling, him on top of me. He spikes up his hair. "That wasn't........a...........kick" he stutters. He looks into my eyes but why did he stutter. I have an urge to kiss him, my lips are on fire. My eyes are wide while they bore into his baby blue eyes. I resist the urge. Clove not now, you fool. His mouth opens slightly as if staring at me in shock.

Handsome, beautiful, gorgeous, Sexy, those words don't describe him. More like; Handtifeouexy. Yeah a mixture, He slowly gets up and jogs to the men's room.

Cato's POV

What the FUCK was that Cato? You all most kissed her, God I'm slow. She'd run a mile from me. Never look back. Ever. I almost couldn't stop myself the urge on my lips. I Cato Emerson; have just witnessed the most painful death of all: Falling in love with my district partner/best friend. I feel so stupid.

I know I will die in the games, for her, i accept that. But Bristle's words: 'Do it before the games, cause if you do it in the arena, you'll screw with her head nad she'll get herself killed' She will, but how? when? where? All I know is that I really got the hots for her. Not good, I'm her district partner, not her lover.

And I know that me staring at her, on top of her, about to kiss her didn't help the equation. Because that was extremely hard not to kiss her. I don't know if I can keep doing it again.

I walk out of the bathroom and I see Clove blushing, talking to Zayn. I only want to do one thing....

Kiss her.

Clove's POV

"Where did lover go?" Zayn asks as Cato goes into the men's room. "I saw that he likes you, I have known him since he was seven, I know" I blush furiously. "You like him" It wasn't a question, It was a statement. I nod ever so slowly. "sorry about that, but that was so cute, he really got the hots for you Clove." "Nah, its ok" He rolls his eyes.

I try to not look at Cato all day, Keyword: Try. We continue combat all day. We have tomorrow off. Knives on Monday, after school. I almost pounced on Zayn to thank him, we haven't trained with knives in ages. Bummer about school.

I play with my knife as I sit on my window sill. It's about 1am. Everyone's asleep but me, Cato and death are the only things in my head. I feel tears sting my eyes. No I will not cry, I haven't cried since my 15th birthday,not even when my uncle died. I'm stronger then tears. I forcefully push away the tear when i hear something hard bang off my window. Cato.

I open the window, slip out then close it again. He signals me to follow him as he sprints into the forest. We run dodging the trees blocking our way. The wind on my face making my hair fall for the ponytail, as we run full speed. I smile the whole way. I have my black string top on ( with my bra duh!) and red pj shorts. I then realise I have nothing on my feet, at all. I don't care I sprint until I catch up with him.

Five minutes later we stop sprinting, not a sweat on us. "Clove, we need to talk" I sit on a low branch on a tree, "I was thinking and hoping you would consider going to the games next year" "I Can't my father said the 74th, I don't care if I die, I'll still have gone in, I know one of us won't come out, its ok" he sighs "I don't wanna see you get hurt not to mention get killed" "I'm sorry Cato, I can't" He nods and pulls me into a hug.

"I can feel your heartbeat" we say in sync. "See you tomorrow?" He asks. "I'm going to Clarice's and Bristle's wanna come?" "Bristle's elven o' clock" I nod as we make our separate ways home. I wish I wore socks. My feet are freezing.

I straighten the invisible wrinkles in my black string top and white shorts, I stare at my white trainers. My hair falls in a plait over my shoulder. As I walk to Clarice's I see Cato, Talking to a prissy blond, a gorgeous one at that. She hugs him and he whispers in her ear.

She blushes and slaps his arm before she struts off. I sprint to Clarice's. Furious. Why though were not dating. I sigh and make my way to her house.

"Sorry, I met............... Best friend" They nod and eye me but he shakes his head. Who's Best friend? Is he dating? I feel like slapping him, I almost kissed him when he has a girlfriend. But I put a smile on my face for the rest of the day.

School, well school was School. "I hear that we have a tribute for the game this year in our class" My middle aged teacher said. I shoot my head up. "Do us proud Ms. Rambin" "I'll try" I hear a few snickers but mostly cheers and congratulations. "who is the male tribute?" She asks. "Cato Emerson ma'am, Two classes up" The room goes silent. "Oh" is all she replied. "Looks like this is Clove's last month, Don't you pity her, No way she's coming out" I hear from a mixture of people, they have looks of pity on their faces. Except about five, 17 year old career bitches that won't volunteer and jealous cause i can spent time with Cato.

I stare at Cato in amusement, trying to throw a knife. I sigh and make my way over to him. I then pull a total guy move. I help throw the knife, by putting my hand on his and my other hand on his hip. Wow what a position eh?........ a position of pure bliss.

A/N: Sorry i haven't update in like 2 weeks so so sorry, will update tomorrow or Saturday. Getting close to the games. Cato and Clove are still resisting the urge to kiss. who will resist the longest?

CLF xx