Chapter 1: looking at the locket

'get up clove, cmon lets get moving, dont wanna miss your first day of training now do you?' She knows i dont wanna go. Yes it is my first day of my new school but im tierd and way too warm. She leaves my room to make my breakfast before i leave. once shes gone my sister veronica or as i call her Ronnie runs into my room at full speed and jumps on me. Hard

'Ronnie, stop it will you!' i yell. 'I-im sorry clove i didnt mean to hurt you' I feel bad. She is twelve but she puts on the cutest little face. Ever.

'Im sorry Ronnie, im just really tierd' i say. 'ok clove its ok im sorry to now Ill help you to find something to wear k?' she asks 'ok'

She struts over to my wardrobe and pulls out a yellow dress with a little brown belt. I put it on slowly, then my brown docks, gold locket and my fathers hat.

'why so girly?' i ask. 'she looks at me like im stupid. maybe i am. 'em to make an impression.....duh' i grab a backpack and throw in a tracksuit with runners, elastics in case my long wavy hair annoys me and my knives.

yes i know what your thinking. what is this girl on. Im not on anything but in district two many prople train for the games and everyone has there favourite weapon and mines knives. Also i dont wanna get killed when careers go night hunting and kill people.

'thank you Ronnie i love it' I kiss her on the head then go into my little brother Kalen's room. He's playing with his cars he got for his birthday two months ago. He was four. He is four, im ten years older then him. Im 15 in a week and a day.

"wow you look wery pretty clover' awh thats cute. 'thank you kalen i gotta go now but ill be back soon i promise ok?' i ask. 'ok i love you clover' 'I love you too kalen'

i run downstairs, grab a slice of bread,say by to my mother before running out the door.

Once i get to the rich part of district two which is three roads from our house, yes i live in the poor part of district two. people glare at me. Proberbly at the large scare running down my left hand. I think i got that last night when i got mad and broke my lamp. you would too if you were in my shoes. Think of it, I have to hunt to get food its not illegal as part of our district has a forest. So that means if i dont get a good catch i will go to bed hungry as i make sure my mother and sibilings are full so i was starving.

To look busy i open my locket it can hold like 12 pictures i only have two in it. I look across the street to see a group of kids joking. i wish i was one of them, i have no friends none. I had one Maysilee but she was reaped in our first reaping she made it till the final two. But then her district partner Brutus killed her. He was 18, she was 12.

Your proberbly thinking why in heavens name would i volounteer for a game where 24 teenagers are thrown into an arena and only one comes out. Two reasons. One to avenge Maysille, she was training to be a career to but could only sword fight, weird no one volounteered for her. And second for my father, he said i had it in me, that I could do it. It was his dying wish i guess as a week later he got killed in a quarry accident.

I look at the two photos: one of my family, my father, my mother; madge, Ronnie, Kalen and myself. This was when Kalen was just born my father died when he was a mont old. the other is of Maysilee and I sitting in the tree where'd we would hang out. Her sandy hair falls over her face and beautiful green eyes. She looks like an angel next to me: grey eyes and dark brown wavy hair that comes above my elbow.

I look up and in at the new training centre this is my birthday present. I actually get a proper centre a year before my games. i slowly walk in.